Barry Pierce's Reviews > God Help the Child

God Help the Child by Toni Morrison

bookshelves: 21st-century, read-in-2015

Everybody bow down, Toni Morrison still reigns. In this short novel, we meet Bride. A young woman who, as a child, testified in a court case which led to the imprisonment of an alleged child abuser. Twenty years later, Bride tries to make peace with the woman whom she sent to prison. I'll stop there and allow you to read the rest of the novel.

Morrison imbues this novel with her renowned mastery of prose which allows the reader to sweep through this novel in only a sitting or two. This novel is a well-wound timepiece with every cog (characters, narrative, emotion) working off each other in perfect harmony and synchronisation, in the end altogether forming a beautiful work.

This book is a true brilliant work of structure and form. Split into many different vignettes, some in first-person and some in third-person, the narrative jumps back and forward in both time and location. However, each piece is a patch on a cloak and by the end of the novel we are left with a sprawling blanket.

God Help the Child is, thus far, my favourite new release of 2015. Short, succinct, savage. It shows that, even since The Bluest Eye was written 45 years ago, Morrison has never lost a single gram of genius, intellect or bite.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read God Help the Child.

Started Reading
April 23, 2015 – Finished Reading
April 24, 2015 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

message 1: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea Robyn Do all of Morrisons books deal with some degree of child abuse? this book looks really excellent!

message 2: by Rita (new)

Rita Reinhardt Culturally speaking, no - all of Toni's books do not "deal" with some degree of child abuse.

Yolonda This book really spurs self-reflection. There is a piece of you in this book.

Nicole Yolanda, I agree. The fact that the author dedicated the book, To You, demonstrates her intimate knowledge that we all, ALL, have been touched by some form of abuse or neglect that has had an impact on who we are today. I love the author's advice, but I'll let the readers discover that passage on their own.

JaVone Bentley Beautifully said!!

Kohh Beautifully and so eloquently said!!!

Kohh Beautifully and so eloquently said!!!

Linda Barry-I just posted my review. If I'd read yours first I wouldn't
have bothered. I agree with all you said and you said it so well!

Ayla I listened to the audio book read By Ms Morrison. And it was wonderful to listen to!