C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Name of the Wind

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Nov 18, 2016

bookshelves: 5-star, adult, epic-fantasy, audio-books, read-2016

OKAY WOW. THAT WAS FREAKING BRILLIANT AND I AM UTTERLY ABSOLUTELY ENTIRELY OBSESSED. And noooo I'm NOT GOING TO STOP SHOUTING. I shall keep shouting!! Because I loved it so!! It had like a checklist of so many things I love that it's most emphatically a Cait Book. And what is this checklist, you ask? Well, sir. Here you go:

CAIT'S CHECKLIST OF GOODNESS IN BOOKS:
• young genius narrator ✓
• who is totally too sassy at times because #clever ✓
• magic ✓
• plus an intensely amazing MAGIC SYSTEM THAT IS THRILLING AND COMPLEX AND YAS ✓✓✓
• epic friendships ✓
• dragons (although it was a vegetarian dragon but whatever, can't have everything) ✓
• music appreciation ✓
• evil that does not sleep ✓
• magical university
• intense library appreciation

Like I seriously can't flail enough. I CANNOT. I even put off writing this review because I knew I'd just be going "FJAKDSLFAD READ IT" and yet I want to convince you all more than that. So deep breaths. Here we go.

NOTE : I read this via audio (narrated by Nick Podehl) and it was amazing. Well it was amazing on double-speed. Hahahha...ahem. Impatience is my middle name, also. And it was like 20+ hours long but I seriously zoomed through it because addictive.

So basically it's a story about a 15 year old genius off to a magical university to learn MAGIC. Kvothe (yes I know his name is ridiculous) was absolutely my favourite creature of ever. He's clever but kind and he's witty but also a bumbling idiot at times. He LOVES music. Like he lives and breathes it. And he also loves academic stuff and has a photographic memory and aRGH I SHOULD HATE HIM BECAUSE HE'S INFURIATINGLY SMART. BUT I JUST LOVED HIM. He got into so much trouble all the time (usually because he's an idiot). But he was precious.

About his name pronunciation: I've heard people say it's said like "quoth" but...well, no. The audio narrator had a hard "K" sound, so he almost said it just phonetically? "K-voth"??? I THINK??? It's hard. I'm just going to not say it outloud and that'll solve all my problems.

ALSO PARDON ALL SPELLINGS IN THIS REVIEW BECAUSE I HAVEN'T SEEN A PHYSICAL COPY OF THE BOOK SO I'M JUST TYPING WHAT I HEARD. haha. This is going to be a disaster.

The book is also "told" by Kvothe. It starts off with a mysterious little town and this mysterious little inkeeper (Kvothe, DUH) and he ends up narrating his life story to a passing storyteller who's writing it all down. I have so so so many questions. Like why is Kvothe hiding? What is he doing? How did he meet Bast? Can I ship him and Bast? Why is he so easily telling his life secrets? Why is he sad? Why is he not at the university? WHYYYY. GIVE ME ANSWERS. Least to say the book does NOT give me all the answers and I'm crying because I need book two. Guess who ordered it the second after finishing this? Oh yes. Yes, me.

But MOSTLy the book is told in 1st person about Kvothe being 15 at the university. So it's equal parts learning complex magic things, and watching Kvothe be banned from the university, make enemies, lose all his money, be a disgusting little GENIUS, and never never stop learning because hE LOVES LEARNING. He's also addicted to books, did I mention that?? He looooves books. His #1 reason for attending uni was BOOKS BOOKS BOOKS.

Okay but I do have a few negatives... Which, I mean, should make it a 4-star probably? BUT I'M OBSESSED. I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH!!! I can even look past some of these twitch aspects, such as:
• It contained some seriously irritating writing techniques...like repetition. He'd repeat, in the SAME FREAKING CHAPTER that he was "wounded and tired and a little drunk" word for word. It was a bit insulting to my intelligence, actually, and this happened a lot with the repetition.
• It had some DUMB TROPES. Like oh look super happy parents. THEY'RE GONNA DIE. #cliche
• The romance was a total pancake flop of a disaster. Like Denna was a major Manic Pixie Dreamgirl. Basically no personality but mysterious and beautiful and she totally lead Kvothe on AND always has another guy on her arm...I mean, if a guy was doing that I would be mad too. Romance = #unhealthy. Even though Kvothe basically friendzoned himself. #LowKeyShippingKvotheAndBast
• Very very very very sexist. Basically all the women in the book can be described as "nice". That's it. And they have lots of sexist views on them too which made me want to punch someone quite frankly.

...so, like, wow. I had issues, but I still loved it. A LOT IF YOU CAN'T TELL.

I also just loved how complex and detailed the world was. From the complex magic system to the detail of the history and backstories and just how BIG the world felt. It wins for me wanting to be totally sucked into this universe.

Although I constantly got confused at how much kindness was in here??? Like in A Game of Thrones everyone is just alive to stab you in the back. So I was SO CONFUSED when people were genuinely nice here??? What is this???? DO I HAVE PROBLEMS? I THINK NOT.

Also magical uni?!?!? YES IS ALL I CAN SAY!!! And I'm literally being Hermione over here and screaming every time Kvothe nearly gets himself expelled because he's an idiot. DUDE, YOU BETTER LOSE YOUR HEAD BEFORE YOU GET EXPELLED BECAUSE WE WILL NOT BE SQUANDERING THIS GORGEOUS LIBRARY AND UNI. DEATH BEFORE EXPULSION.

Well, obviously I could flail forever. But I shall caaalm myself and just continue loving and adoring the darling Kvothe who is a genius academic musician who loves books (like the dude picked up a book in the library purely because it was about dragons??? is Kvothe me???) and this reminds me why I freaking love adult fantasy. And I want to read it all. IT ALL. AHHHHH. It didn't have a rocketing fast pace and sure, it had things that made me twitch angrily, but problematic moments aside: it's freaking brilliant storytelling and I LOVE IT.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Name of the Wind.

April 23, 2015 – Shelved
April 23, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
November 5, 2016 – Started Reading
November 5, 2016 –
page 20
3.02% "I've heard there is 92 years between these book releases? I'M GOING TO REGRET STARTING THIS AREN'T I?"
November 6, 2016 –
9.0% "Author: What shall I name these characters?\nAuthor: Idek it's a bit hard.\nAuthor: *SLAMS FIST ON KEYBOARD*\nAuthor: KVOTHE!\nAuthor: The readers are going to love this."
November 7, 2016 –
12.0% "Kvothe's parents are super nice, very in love, and just delightful.\nTHEY'RE GOING TO DIE AREN'T THEY??????"
November 8, 2016 –
21.0% "Well. That was the most predictable and anticlimactic delivered death scene ever.\n-- says Cait who apparently has no soul or feelings"
November 11, 2016 –
40.0% "Oh FINALLY he's at the university. Fiiiiiiiinally he gets to be a clever little maniac. Good. I'm looking forward to this."
November 11, 2016 –
42.0% "Kvothe literally just picked up a book because IT HAD A SHINY EMBOSSED DRAGON ON THE COVER.\nIn other news, Kvothe is me."
November 12, 2016 –
45.0% "Kvothe's University Schedule:\nday 1 = gets the masters to pay him to attend uni\nday 2 = sets a master on fire\nday 3 = nearly gets expelled and then whipped\nday 4 = gets banned from the library\nday 5 = KNOWS NO CHILL"
November 15, 2016 –
69.0% "Kvothe: *is genius at absolutely everything*\nKvothe: *tells everyone he is genius at absolutely everything*\nKvothe: *tries to talk to his crush*\nKvothe: *fails*"
November 16, 2016 –
83.0% "Oooh, there is a vegetarian dragon in here. #nice"
November 16, 2016 –
91.0% "WELL I HAVE AN ANNOUNCEMENT AND THAT IS I JUST REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY LOVE THIS BOOK. THE END. GO ABOUT YOUR BUSINESS NOW."
November 18, 2016 – Shelved as: 5-star
November 18, 2016 – Shelved as: adult
November 18, 2016 – Shelved as: epic-fantasy
November 18, 2016 – Shelved as: audio-books
November 18, 2016 – Shelved as: read-2016
November 18, 2016 – Finished Reading

Penelope yesssss

George Jankovic Can't wait to see your review. It used to be my favorite book but the Six of Crows has now probably surpassed it. The third book is coming soon. :)

C.G. Drews @George: SoC is like MY LIFE. But I'm still quite seriously enjoying The Name of the Wind. Just imagine if Kvothe and Kaz put their minds together to achieve something...

George Jankovic Cait (Paper Fury) wrote: "@George: SoC is like MY LIFE. But I'm still quite seriously enjoying The Name of the Wind. Just imagine if Kvothe and Kaz put their minds together to achieve something..."

OMG!!!! That's an idea worth a seven-book series. SofC was my life and death. I was hoping for at least one more book. As for the Name of the Wind, it's supposed to be a trilogy, but that's almost impossible. You'll see when you finish the second one. That one does have one boring part in it, maybe 20% in the middle. Other than that, awesome.

Enjoy!

message 5: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura You've made me so excited to read it!

Anne Lol about the romance. (:

message 7: by Ecke (new) - added it

Ecke Brandt I'm so glad you liked it!!! Now you can suffer with the rest of us until the third book is released lol
If you liked this one I really recommend you Elantris, by Brandon Sanderson, it has books, a super cool magic system and sassy women!!!! It's beautiful

TL glad you loved it:)

Katie I love your reviews! And now I feel like I definitely need to pick up this book off of my TBR shelf and read it ASAP! :)

message 10: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Ecke: I'M SUFFERING SO BAD ALREADY GAH. Well, I have to read the second book yet but my order is on it's way. *wishes time would go faster* And I have read the first Mistborn book and the Steelheart trilogy by Brandon Sanderson but I definitely want to read more!!

@TL: Yayy I'm glad to!

@Katie: Aw thankyou! AND YES DO READ IT FOR SURE.

message 11: by TL (new) - rated it 5 stars

TL Cait (Paper Fury) wrote: @Ecke: I'M SUFFERING SO BAD ALREADY GAH. Well, I have to read the second book yet but my order is on it's way. *wishes time would go faster* And I have read the first Mistborn book and the Steelheart trilogy by Brandon Sanderson but I definitely want to read more!!

@TL: Yayy I'm glad too!

*hugs* one of my favorite books! Gonna do a reread soonish I hope

Meredith It really is a great book! I've been putting off reading the 2nd one since there's no release date on the 3rd, but we'll see how long I can hold out! And sorry to shamelessly plug this, but my podcast read this book and recorded an episode discussing it a couple months ago- not sure if podcasts are your thing, but we do touch a lot on the problematic stuff you brought up, along with all the awesomeness that is this book! If you'd like to listen, we're on iTunes under Eclectic Readers Book Club or here's a direct link to the episode: sunriserobot.net/eclecticreaders/20 no pressure though! :)

Wortmagie Damn, I was torn between "The Name of the Wind" and "Prince of Thorns" for my next read and I chose the latter. Seems like I need to pick this one up as soon as possible. ;)

message 14: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Wortmagie: OMG I LOVE PRINCE OF THORNS SO MUCH TOO!! They're both brilliant!!

Wortmagie @Cait: It is pretty good so far, I like that dark aura of Jorg. :)

Celeste Fantastic review, dear. I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH TOO YOU HAVE NO IDEA.

message 17: by Nina (new)

Nina Ive Awesome review, love your energy, might have to look into this one too! Having a book morning of inspiring #notmyusualstylereading books

Miriam Joy I have many similar feelings about this. It's generally well-known that the female characters in this aren't great; I think some of them improve, and I think Rothfuss has acknowledged that he didn't do great on that front and will try and do better. So that's something. The problem I have right now is not being able to remember whether my favourite bits are in this or the next one so I can't say them here just in case...

Lucia This sounds brilliant! I need to read it for sure.

message 20: by Ryan (new) - added it

Ryan Since you love it so much, I'll overlook the fact that a character is named "Kvothe". (Seriously, though, what is that name.) Brilliant review, as always, Cait! <3

Emily Munn On the Audio book, I hear it pronounced Kwoth

message 22: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Emily: Hahah, I listened to the audio and heard it said "K-voth"

Emily Munn It was a weird audio book, it was a cassette tape set, turned into chapters that I put on my iPod, so the sound was rather muffled in some places. I would assume that you're right - Kvothe - lol what a name - is pronounced how it's spelled.... I loved this story too, and I just got a paperback of The Wise Man's Fear

message 24: by Evie (new) - rated it 4 stars

Evie Hughes @C.G.Drews: "Just imagine if Kvothe and Kaz put their minds together to achieve something..."

Er my gawd. My brain just exploded.