Illise Montoya's Reviews > Kitty Takes a Holiday

Kitty Takes a Holiday by Carrie Vaughn

Oct 14, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy
Read 3 times. Last read February 9, 2015 to March 7, 2015.

So the actual time I finished reading Kitty Takes a Holiday was March 7th, but thanks to my Goodreads updates and some page skimming I think I recall my overall feelings on this installment of the Kitty Norville series. This is my third time reading this book.

Basically, I was coming off of a high from Kitty Goes to Washington. The previous book had such a tight narrative. The pacing was good, and interesting things were happening just about all the time. In Kitty Takes a Holiday, that changes a bit. You see, after Kitty’s traumatic experiences in Washington, she decides to take a break from the public eye and hide out in a cabin in the middle of nowhere to write her memoirs. Naturally things don’t go as planned, and her writer’s block is interrupted by a dramatic visit from Cormac and Ben. Something terrible has happened, and Cormac needs Kitty’s help to keep Ben alive. I’ll avoid spoilers, but basically this is one of my favorite moments in the series.

What follows is a really interesting couple of days as Kitty works to handle this incredible dilemma the boys have set in front of her. She tries to keep everyone’s morale up, but of course, tempers flare and fur gets rubbed the wrong way. Eventually, things sort of plateau, and a calm point is reached–until that calm is once again shattered, as another problem demands Kitty’s attention: since she had arrived at her cabin, someone has been leaving dead animals on her porch–likely in an attempt to curse Kitty. Cormac brings in his witch doctor friend, and as that whole issue unravels, things seem to climax in my opinion.

I say seem to, because the trouble is this “climax” occurred around 190 pages in. After that? Things drastically slow down as we see Ben and Kitty wrestle with a legal battle in an attempt to keep Cormac out of jail for his latest actions. As they do that, feelings are wrestled with as an attraction that had been developing between our chatty werewolf and bristly lawyer sort of comes full circle. I really, really struggled with these remaining 110 pages. After enjoying the first half of the book so much, I was very disappointed by the sudden drag in pace.

Ultimately, my feeling is that, while Kitty Takes a Holiday is still a worthwhile read for any Kitty Norville fan, it just isn’t as good as the second book. Ironically enough, I feel this book is probably the most fitting (so far) of the “paranormal romance” tag that everyone seems so eager to attribute to the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kitty Takes a Holiday.

Finished Reading
Finished Reading
October 14, 2010 – Shelved
February 16, 2011 – Shelved as: fantasy
February 9, 2015 – Started Reading
February 9, 2015 –
page 1
0.33% "I'm soooo excited for this one!"
February 9, 2015 –
page 88
29.04% "Geez, I think I'm going to burn through this one. It's one of my favorites though because some REALLY exciting things take place."
February 10, 2015 –
page 173
February 13, 2015 –
page 194
February 18, 2015 –
page 200
66.01% "Safe to say that 190 pages in is about where things drop off for me. Haven't picked up the book in a few days."
February 19, 2015 –
page 220
72.61% "Man, after that climax, this falling action is SLOW. And long! Or was that showdown at the cabin not the climax? Heck, it felt like it. :/ I thought I'd be done with this by now, but I keep passing it up for other things..."
February 23, 2015 –
page 242
79.87% "Man, where did my will to finish this go?"
March 7, 2015 – Finished Reading