Megan ~The Never Ending Book Basket's Reviews > It Ends with Us

It Ends with Us by Colleen Hoover

I've been staring at my computer screen for almost an hour trying to come up with some way to review this book. I've been racking my brain trying to come up with the right words to capture what it's like to read this book and experience everything it gives you, and I've come to a conclusion...

I can't. I can't do it.

And every time I even try to do it, I start crying something fierce because this book was so emotionally consuming and breathtaking to experience, and I'm still feeling that now as I try to write this review.

So I've decided I can't tell you what it's like to read this book because my words aren't good enough to describe It Ends With Us or what Colleen Hoover gives you within its unforgettable pages. My words aren't even in the same stratosphere as the words, the power, the meaning, and the emotion bursting from every page of this book.

If there is one book you read this week, it should be this book. If there is one book you read this month, it should be this book. If there is one book you read this year, it should be this book. It there's one book you should read at any point in your adult life, it should be this book.

This book is everything. It's everything and then some, and then some more on top of that. And that is just one of the many reasons I can't tell you about it because then that would take away from what it'll be like for you to read this book. Go into this book blind. It's the only way to do it, and in the end you will love that you knew nothing about it. Trust me. That blind faith pays off. In spades.

It'll also rip your heart out and break every emotion you have. But it's worth it. So damn worth it.

I should also let you know that as we speak, I am crying. I haven't been able to stop crying since I finished the book, and I have a feeling I'll be feeling this book hangover and these tears for a good long while...and you know what, I'm okay with that. I'm so okay with that because that just speaks to what this book just gave me.

I still don't really have the right words for what that is exactly, but all I know is that I will NEVER forget this book. I will NEVER forget what it felt like to read and experience it. I will NEVER forget what it felt like to be emotionally eviscerated by it and its characters, and I will NEVER forget the fact that there was a part of me that equally loved that as much as I hated it.

This book is real. It's raw. It's honest and visceral and it hurts. It hurts your heart and your soul and it hurts to keep reading those words and experiencing their impact. It's deeply emotional on every level possible, and there's a good chance it might break you a bit or a lot. But you know what...it's worth it. It's so damn worth it, and you NEED to read it. If there is one thing I could ever tell you, it would be that you need to read this book.

It will hurt you, it will break your mind and your heart and it will make you feel with all you have. It'll have you asking yourself difficult questions, it will push you, and it will push the compass within your heart and soul to its very breaking point, but that's what makes this on of the most extraordinary books I've ever read. That's what sets it apart. That's what breaks you, yet puts you back together at the same time.

It sure is hell isn't an easy book, but it is for damn sure worth it. Every single word and feeling this book gives you is worth it, and honestly right now I just want to go give my mom a hug. Then I want to go give Colleen Hoover a hug and thank her for giving me this book. She probably spent hours and hours crafting it and making it everything that it is. She probably poured her blood, sweat, and tears into it. She probably gave everything into writing this book, and along the way she let me have that everything within its pages, and all I can really say for that is thank you.

Thank you Colleen Hoover for writing this book.

Thank you for showing me that it really is okay to break sometimes. And for showing me that even though you might break, that still doesn't mean you're broken and can't be put back together again.

Thank you for giving me a story and characters that I know will permanently remain seared to my heart. Thank you for Lily, Ryle, Atlas, Allysa, Lily's mom, Marshall, and every other character you gave me and allowed me to love in this book.

Thank you for changing me, for pushing my heart and my mind, and for giving me a book that pulled at every emotion I had along the way.

Thank you for telling this story because it needed to be told, and it is one of the most powerful, meaningful, and emotionally honest stories I have ever read and will ever read.

Thank you. Just, thank you.

I'm still crying in case you were wondering, but I'm still okay with it too. I'm still a little bit broken too, but my heart was put back together even better than before, and that is all because of this book.

And while I've somehow found some words to describe this amazing book and what it was like to read it, I still haven't even scratched the surface of what it gives you within its pages, and like I said, I know my words never will because they're just not good enough for this book.

So it's naked truth time, (and I'm about to flood my laptop with how hard I'm crying right now writing this review, so I gotta wrap this up...) and all I can say is this:

Read this book. Let it consume you with everything it has. Go in blind. Feel it all. Live it all. Breath it all. And in the end, take what it gives you, what it shows you, and what it allows you to experience, and use that to make you and the world around you better.

Let that understanding and empathy and compassion wash over you like the biggest wave at the beach, and don't ever let it go because you need it. You need its imprint, you need its memory, and you need every bit of what that wave gave you.

Read this book and don't forget it. And then go thank your mother and give her a hug.

It Ends With Us.

It Ends With Us.

It. Ends. With. Us.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It Ends with Us.

Quotes Megan Liked

Colleen Hoover
“There is no such thing as bad people. We’re all just people who sometimes do bad things.”

Colleen Hoover
“I hope you defy the odds of most dreams and actually accomplish yours.”

Colleen Hoover
“Naked truths aren’t always pretty.”

Colleen Hoover
“Maybe love isn’t something that comes full circle. It just ebbs and flows, in and out, just like the people in our lives”

Colleen Hoover
“Life is a funny thing. We only get so many years to live it, so we have to do everything we can to make sure those years are as full as they can be. We shouldn't waste time on things that might happen someday, or maybe even never.”

Colleen Hoover
“In the future... if by some miracle you ever find yourself in the position to fall in love again... fall in love with me.” He presses his lips against my forehead. “You’re still my favorite person, Lily. Always will be.”

Colleen Hoover
“He pulls back to look down at me and when he sees my tears, he brings his hands up to my cheeks. “In the future... if by some miracle you ever find yourself in the position to fall in love again... fall in love with me.”

Colleen Hoover
“No one is exclusively bad, nor is anyone exclusively good. Some are just forced to work harder at suppressing the bad.”

Colleen Hoover
“All humans make mistakes. What determines a person's character aren't the mistakes we make. It's how we take those mistakes and turn them into lessons rather than excuses.”

Colleen Hoover
“My heart is pounding like it wants out. I wish I could give it a way out. I’d set the mother-fucker free right now if I could.”

Colleen Hoover
“I feel like everyone fakes who they really are, when deep down we're all equal amounts of screwed up. Some of us are just better at hiding it than others.”

Colleen Hoover
“Imagine all the people you meet in your life. There are so many. They come in like waves, trickling in and out with the tide. Some waves are much bigger and make more of an impact than others. Sometimes the waves bring with them things from deep in the bottom of the sea and they leave those things tossed onto the shore. Imprints against the grains of sand that prove the waves had once been there, long after the tide recedes. That was what Atlas was telling me when he said “I love you.” He was letting me know that I was the biggest wave he’d ever come across. And I brought so much with me that my impressions would always be there, even when the tide rolled out.”

Colleen Hoover
“Fifteen seconds. That’s all it takes to completely change everything about a person. Fifteen.”

Colleen Hoover
“It stops here. With me and you. It ends with us.”

Colleen Hoover
“Our eyes, locked together, speak more naked truths than our mouths ever have.”

Colleen Hoover
“Just because we didn’t end up on the same wave, doesn’t mean we aren’t still a part of the same ocean.”

Colleen Hoover
“In the future . . . if by some miracle you ever find yourself in the position to fall in love again . . . fall in love with me.”

Colleen Hoover
“I’m sorry about that. I’m sure you didn’t miss me like I missed you, but sometimes the things that matter to you most are also the things that hurt you the most. And in order to get over that hurt, you have to sever all the extensions that keep you tethered to that pain. You were an extension of my pain, so I guess that’s what I was doing. I was just trying to save myself a little bit of agony.”

Colleen Hoover
“I think that’s one of the biggest signs a person has matured—knowing how to appreciate things that matter to others, even if they don’t matter very much to you.”

Colleen Hoover
“Just because someone hurts you doesn't mean you can simply stop loving them. It's not a person's actions that hurt the most. It's the love. If there was no love attached to the action, the pain would be a little easier to bear.”

Colleen Hoover
“Sometimes even grown women need their mother’s comfort so we can just take a break from having to be strong all the time.”

Colleen Hoover
“I’ll keep pretending to swim, when really all I’m doing is floating. Barely keeping my head above water.”

Colleen Hoover
“Cycles exist because they are excruciating to break. It takes an astronomical amount of pain and courage to disrupt a familiar pattern. Sometimes it seems easier to just keep running in the same familiar circles, rather than facing the fear of jumping and possibly not landing on your feet.

My mother went through it.

I went through it.

I'll be damned if I allow my daughter to go through it.

I kiss her on the forehead and make her a promise. "It stops here. With me and you. It ends with us.”

April 23, 2015 – Shelved