AH's Reviews > Positive

Positive by David Wellington

bookshelves: arc-edelweiss, dystopian, post-apocalyptic, zzread-apr-2015, survival, young-adult, zombies, horror

About 3.5 stars.
In a way, this book kind of reminded me of Julie Kagawa's Blood of Eden series but instead of vampires, we have zombies and people who have tested positive for the zombie virus. Positive is a new spin on the zombie apocalypse story. In Positive, the zombie apocalypse occurred about 20 years earlier. People live in the relative safety of walled cities. Our hero hails from Manhattan, where the subways are flooded and provide some fishing for our hero Finn and his buddy Ike. The zombie virus is also a different take on the old zombie story. Now it can take anywhere from exposure to 20 years for the zombie virus to manifest and turn a person into a snarling flesh-eating killer. When Finn's mother goes zombie, the whole family is tested and Finn is sent to a medical camp in Ohio. He doesn't get there right away because his ride is killed by a very scary lady.

Finn begins his voyage across the US looking for that medical center where all will be good. On his way he learns about the world outside Manhattan. This is a journey story and each step along the way builds Finn's character. From what he sees of the world, he knows what kind of man he doesn't want to become.

I liked Finn's character. For someone with so little life experience, he was a quick learner and even quicker to react to situations. I loved how he treated his "family" and wanted to keep the girls safe, especially Kylie. Kylie was a strong character as well considering what she had gone through with Adare.

Positive kept me reading way into the night. The last part of the book was intense and I couldn't put the book down. I look forward to reading more books by this author in the future.

Thank you to Edelweiss and Harper Voyager for a review copy of this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Positive.

April 22, 2015 – Started Reading
April 22, 2015 – Shelved
April 22, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Margot (new)

Margot Thank you for your review! I picked it up at the library a few days ago and decided to see the rating it had on here. Luckily I caught your review and if this book is a bit like Julie's Blood of Eden then I'm super excited to start it as that's my favorite series~

message 2: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Margot wrote: "Thank you for your review! I picked it up at the library a few days ago and decided to see the rating it had on here. Luckily I caught your review and if this book is a bit like Julie's Blood of Ed..."

I hope you enjoy it, Margot.