Greg's Reviews > The Road to Cana

The Road to Cana by Anne Rice

it was ok

Anne Rice is one of my favorite authors but for me this is one of her weaker efforts. It's hard for me to separate the subject from the actual novel, but this is a novel, first and foremost, so that's my perspective. I did like the first one in this series, and no disrespect intended, but this one could have been called "Jesus Plans a Wedding". This book opens with two young boys being stoned to death because they were under blankets together, then villagers question Jesus' own sexuality. And when Jesus barely touches the village beauty, gossip abounds that this girl has had her virginity taken away. We read such howlers as: "And how many midwives can wander in that virgin territory...before they break down the very door they're seeking to find intact, do you think?" And I found the way that Jesus pays for the wedding to be simply in very poor taste. One odd note: there is a photo of Rice on the bookjacket of this Knopf 2008 hardback first edition. It reminded me so much of another picture that I looked through my personal library to find it: a photo of Rice on the back of the Knopf 1992 hardback first edition of "The Tale of the Body Thief". The haircuts are the same, the poses are similar, and both are in glorious black-and-white. But the earlier photo is just so natural, a less-formal garden setting beauty. In the more recent photo, I see a slightly forced, perhaps tense, studio portrait. My thought is that Rice knew she was writing and publishing in risky territory with this 2008 effort, but was far more comfortable with her fourth vampire book. (The photographers are different.) Rice is a master at narrative and description but those qualities aren't here. I'm currently reading through the entire NIV Old and New Testament, and if you're chosing between this novel and any one of the first four books of the New Testament, just read Matthew. And in the Old Testament, Proverbs is truly beautiful. And I'm very much looking forward to Rice's third "wolf" installment, soon to reach us I hope!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Road to Cana.

Started Reading