Amanda H's Reviews > The Birchbark House

Oct 13, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: historical-fiction, forty-book-challenge
Read in October, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Immediately the first paragraph catches your attention and you expect the story to be full of adventure and interesting. It is not the case until about half-way through.
The begining is extremely slow with the background information. It explains how the Objiwa tribe that "Little Frog" is part of prepares their Birchbark house for the Spring and the activities that happen during the spring time. Everything keeps hinting at this great "dream" that "Little Frog" is supposed to get but nothing really happens. The only thing interesting is when she goes into the forest and is playing with bear cubs.
Around the middle is when things get interesting but extremely sad. Her whole family (except "Little Frog" and her grandmother) gets Smallpox from the white men. Her grandmother becomes too weak to take care of everyone by herself so "Little Frog" starts to help. Unfortunately then her favorite little brother dies and her older sister's extremely good friend dies. "Little Frog" is left in shock for almost the rest of the book.
"The Birchbark House" writing style is more geared towards younger children but the content is anything but for younger children. The begining would make most older children put the book down after about the first chapter. Younger children would probably love it but once the family gets smallpox the content is too strong for most young children to handle. Once I got half-way I enjoyed this book but the begining was dry.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Birchbark House.

07/08/2016 marked as: read

Ms. Mulhern Gross Oh, I love this book!

message 2: by Jo (new)

Jo I disagree that this is too scary/emotional for younger kids. Most people don't give kids enough credit. When I was younger I read lots of really sad and emotional books, and they made me sad like they would an adult. But I wasn't scarred for life or anything because I was a kid.

Arman I'm reading this book in Language Arts it is really boring and confusing after chapter 4.