Mario's Reviews > Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch

Good Omens by Terry Pratchett

bookshelves: own, best-of-the-best, favorites, own-read

“I don't see what's so triffic about creating people as people and then gettin' upset cos' they act like people", said Adam severely. "Anyway, if you stopped tellin' people it's all sorted out after they're dead, they might try sorting it all out while they're alive.”

Neil Gaiman + Terry Pratchett = Perfection

Let me start this review with saying that if you're not so open minded hardcore religious person. do yourself a favor and don't read this book 'cause you might end up really, really hating it.

Now off to the real review.

I can positively say that (at least in my opinion) this is one of the best books ever written (okay, maybe I'm being a little subjective).

I feel like when reading Gaiman's books, there is always a positive and a negative thing (at least in my case). The positive is: The book you are reading might just be one of the best book you've ever read. And a negative is: That book has to finish, and when it does, you don't have a clue what to do with your life. And I feel that the humor Pratchett brought to the story, just made it that much harder to finish the book and say goodbye to this brilliant story.

Like I already said, this book was brilliant. I can easily say that a book never made me laugh as hard as this one did (I physically laughed my ass off multiple times while reading). But apart from that, this book was also very dark (and I didn't realize that until the very end). There are quotes in this book that just make you stop reading and think for a second. I feel like that through humor, they made some really good points about religion.

And also, this book had one of the best characters ever created. Crowley: A demon who always wear glasses, drives a Bentley and listens to Queen. I mean, whats not to love?! I also loved chemistry between Crowley and Aziraphale. Actually, Aziraphale was my second favorite character.

This was my first Pratchett's book (now I feel ashamed to say that), but it certainly won't be my last. I can already say that Pratchett was as big of a genius as Gaiman is.

I don't think that there's anything else to say, except that if you haven't read this book but you like either Gaiman or Pratchett, do yourself a favor and go read it. I can guarantee that you won't regret it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Omens.

April 21, 2015 – Shelved
April 21, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
April 21, 2015 – Shelved as: own
August 24, 2015 – Started Reading
August 24, 2015 –
0.0% "I'm in a mood for some Gaiman, but I also wanted to read one of Terry Pratchett's books for a while, so why not do both? I've got a feeling I'll enjoy this one."
August 25, 2015 –
page 80
August 25, 2015 –
page 100
23.26% "It's Tchaikovsky's 'Another One Bites the Dust'," said Crowley. To while away the time as they crossed the sleeping Chilterns, they also listened to William Byrd's "We Are the Champions" and Beethoven's "I Want To Break Free." Neither were as good as Vaughan Williams's "Fat-Bottomed Girls."\n \n I hope I'm not the only one who think that Crowley is one of the best characters ever"
August 26, 2015 –
page 200
46.51% "The British resisted decimalized currency for a long time because they thought it was too complicated.\n \n Oh, the irony!"
August 28, 2015 –
page 370
86.05% "“Oh dear,” said Aziraphale. “It's him.”\n “Him who?” said Crowley.\n “The Voice of God,” said the angel. “The Metatron.”\n The Them stared.\n Then Pepper said, “No, it isn't. The Metatron's made of plastic and it's got laser cannon and it\n can turn into a helicopter.”\n \n I laughed way more than I should have"
August 28, 2015 – Shelved as: best-of-the-best
August 28, 2015 – Shelved as: favorites
August 28, 2015 – Shelved as: own-read
August 28, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Vanessa (new) - added it

Vanessa this book is a gem! a bit of pratchett, a bit of gaiman. what else could we ask for?

Mario Couldn't agree more :)
I just feel sad knowing that this book will never get a sequel. I'm not saying that it needs a sequel, but still...

message 3: by Vanessa (new) - added it

Vanessa i get it. it's not the sequel per se that we are sad about, but the knowledge that this amazing duo won't write together ever again. :(

message 4: by Moriah (new) - added it

Moriah I started reading it about two years ago, but then my friend wanted to read it together and asked me to wait. So I stopped. And I waited. I'm still waiting to this very day.
I'm either a good friend or a stupid one :(

Mario Vanessa wrote: "i get it. it's not the sequel per se that we are sad about, but the knowledge that this amazing duo won't write together ever again. :("

Couldn't have said it better myself :(

Moriah wrote: "I started reading it about two years ago, but then my friend wanted to read it together and asked me to wait. So I stopped. And I waited. I'm still waiting to this very day.
I'm either a good frien..."

My advice: GO READ IT!!!! If you liked the beginning, you'll love the end, cause it just gets better and better

message 6: by Moriah (new) - added it

Moriah Mario wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "i get it. it's not the sequel per se that we are sad about, but the knowledge that this amazing duo won't write together ever again. :("

Couldn't have said it better myself :(

Mo..."

Sure, I liked it and I'll read it, I just got into other reads since so you can see why that's kinda been pushed back in the list :)

Maria Espadinha Neil Gaiman + Terry Pratchett = Perfection