Zeek's Reviews > A Room with a View

A Room with a View by E.M. Forster

Oct 13, 2010

bookshelves: classics, literary, fiction, kindle, hist-fiction

The book starts off with the Lucy Honeychurch and her companion desiring a better room- a room with a view- while staying in Italy. And therein lies the metaphor for these two ladies raised in the restrictive society of Edwardian England. Although they had yet to realize it, their desire for something more, lay simmering below the calm surface of their lives and it would take the passionate encounter of a man who was, by all outward appearance, thoroughly unsuited- although quite within the realm of their society- to bring their discontent to a full boil.

I of course loved the content and resolution of this much read classic, however- as evidenced by my slow progress- I had a difficult time fully engaging with the protagonist thereby making it difficult for me to be fully engaged with novel. Don't get me wrong, I liked how she ended up... I just got a bit frustrated by how long it took her to get there. But really, given the society Miss Honeychurch was born into, her wishy-washy denial of her true feelings by cutting down others couldn't have been more accurate. It just didnt make me like her very much.

In the end I'm giving A Room With A View a 4.5 out of 5 rating- Although I had issues with the characters, I can give it no less simply because it's one of those novels I as a modern woman am so grateful for. I just cant help but think it's one of those pieces of art that helped to make those who went before me realize they didnt have to settle for something "society" says they should be. How can I give it anything less?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Room with a View.

October 13, 2010 – Started Reading
October 13, 2010 – Shelved
October 13, 2010 –
3.0% "Feeling the need for a classic to cleanse the palette."
October 14, 2010 –
30.0% "I cant decided if I like Lucy yet. She seems to be swayed to much by other people's opinions. Hoping (guessing) this will change."
October 19, 2010 –
53.0% "Ugh Cecil. Things better change when George is back in town."
October 25, 2010 –
October 26, 2010 –
77.0% "Poor Cecil. I almost feel bad for him."
November 1, 2010 –
83.0% "Determined to get this done today!"
November 1, 2010 – Finished Reading