Flora Smith's Reviews > Specials

Specials by Scott Westerfeld

bookshelves: dystopia, young-adult

I liked it much better than I expected to, maybe because I had low expectations. 3.5 stars, I stretched up to 4 stars because I was feeling generous.

Tally and her friends have been turned into Special Specials by Dr. Cable. She sees everything with a sharp clarity however her brain is being further manipulated by the system. Shay-la and her band of Cutters is constantly trying to hunt down the New Smoke and Tally-wa is faced with accepting the reality of her situation.

I admit, I skimmed a lot of this one. There was a lot of action scenes that didn't hold my attention. I got what was going on and then moved on. My biggest issue with this one was the glamorization of harmful practices in a book aimed at impressionable young women. Cutting, underage drinking and early sex was portrayed as not only the norm but as positive things and personally I see this as irresponsible as an author. On the other hand, many reviews I read found the ending a bit disappointing but I didn't. I liked the ending and thought that Tally was stronger for it. I shall say no more to prevent spoilage. I would have liked to have seen more of David, but this was written from Tally's point of view and circumstances being as they were I can see why this wasn't possible. Maybe in the future Westerfield will write the story from David's point of view. That could be interesting.

Overall, its not a bad series but far from perfect however. If you like YA dystopias this might grab your attention.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Specials.

April 21, 2015 – Started Reading