Marcelo's Reviews > Amethyst: Foundations

Amethyst by Chris T. Dias

Oct 13, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: games

This is the D&D book I was waiting for since I started playing D&D back un the 90's. There has been many attempts to adapt, convert, or simply use the Dungeons & Dragons rules for a science-fiction setting, and they all failed or fell short. But Chris Tavares Dias' iteration of this attempt has succeeded!

The Amethyst setting in itself is interesting, a world (OUR world) where magic has returned... and it didn't sit well with all the technology of the third millennium. Some seven centuries later, humanity makes its last stand on bastions of science and modernity scattered throughout a land vastly populated by your regular cast of fantasy creatures, from elves to dragons.

The approach to the elves in Amethyst is quite interesting, specially considering the huge limitations that the Wizards of the Coast's GSL has nowadays (you cannot use or reference to any iota of information from the WotC D&D books). Dias managed to create a host of elven races that are diverse, original, and unique, at the same time exploring RPG archetypes of elven and fay creatures. My only complaint provided on this book.

Amethyst: Foundations can provide a fairly good campaign inside its basic setting, but this set of rules really shine when used to create sci-fi or modern vs. magic settings. We finally have rules for firearms, laser beams, robots, mechas, four-wheel vehicles, etc. for the D&D game that actually work!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Amethyst.

October 13, 2010 – Shelved