Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more's Reviews > Revenge and the Wild

Revenge and the Wild by Michelle Modesto

2/7/18 - ON SALE for $1.99:

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

SO. The good news is that it only took an afternoon to read REVENGE AND THE WILD by Michelle Modesto. The other news is . . . meh.

In all fairness, several of the contributing factors to the MEH are personal preference issues.

Like I find too few gadgets just as annoying as too many gadgets in steampunk. Dollface has a bionic arm, NOT-brother has a Bane-like face mask, Guardian is building a big ol' machine out of copper that amplifies magic, and that's pretty much it.

Oh, there were a handful of throwaway mentions, but altogether it didn't feel very steampunky.

There was also some of EVERYTHING, and I do mean EVERYTHING: vampires, trolls, werewolves, leprechauns, elves, undead, shamans, CANNIBALS . . . Too many things for any of them to make much of an impact. Except the cannibals.

Ye gods, the cannibals.

Once again, rules for fashion are excellent rules for writing: before you leave, look in the mirror and take off the last three accessoryies you put on.

BUT.

Once I adjusted to the cadence of Modesto's writing style, it was highly engaging. I flew through the middle 70 - 80%.

BUT.

When we got to the wrap-up 15%, the unraveling of our mystery was very . . . basic. The clues Westie found didn't link back to earlier planted threads, making the whole cohesive. It was more like a scavenger hunt, and scavenger hunts do not tickle my clever bone.

And all that middle I flew through . . . not really memorable.

ALSO, I did not buy (view spoiler)

However, there was one very excellent plot twist that shocked the hell out of me. Especially b/c it was one of those where you know you've figured it out, and you did (b/c you can count), but BOOM that's not all, sucker!

So HOORAY for that.

Ultimately, REVENGE AND THE WILD by Michelle Modesto was entertaining enough to pass a pleasant afternoon, however, for me, there were a few preference-based misfires. BUT. If you like creature features and steampunk überlite, I'd say it's definitely worth a shot. And BONUS, it's a standalone, so no pesky wait for the next installment. Recommended with qualifications.

Jessica Signature

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Revenge and the Wild.

April 21, 2015 – Shelved
January 10, 2016 – Started Reading
January 10, 2016 –
1.0% "Westie had left the valley at dawn to head home. The sun rose soon after and had followed her throughout the day. By four it just felt spiteful. Though her skin was burned and blistered, she preferred the sun over darkness during her travels. The road between the valley and Rogue City was a long, perilous one with dense woods on either side.\n \n Is that as disjointed as I think it is, or am I just being cranky?"
January 10, 2016 –
22.0% "Westie had stayed with Alistair through his recovery, through his nightmares and sorrow. She never once left his side. Like a silly girl, she believed he lived for her, so he was hers and she was his.\n \n *rubs fist over heart*"
January 10, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Jo (new)

Jo Great review, Jessica!

message 2: by Choko (new)

Choko Thanks for the review, Jess! I am actually a fan of all those things if done well... Another book in the never ending pile of TBR books...

♛Tash I had lots of fun reading The Revenge and the Wild. I find Westie's incompetence, because really the girl can't do anything right, refreshing. Agree with the thing you spoiler tagged, it felt forced. Great review,Jess!

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Joanita wrote: "Great review, Jessica!"

Thanks, Jo!

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Choko wrote: "Thanks for the review, Jess! I am actually a fan of all those things if done well... Another book in the never ending pile of TBR books..."

Thanks, Choko! Mount TBR, LOL ;)

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Tash wrote: "I had lots of fun reading The Revenge and the Wild. I find Westie's incompetence, because really the girl can't do anything right, refreshing. Agree with the thing you spoiler tagged, it felt force..."

Thanks, Tash! Glad you liked it!

Sarah Ah bummer, I've got an ARC sitting on my shelves waiting to be read. Although, I have yet to really delve into the steampunk genre, so maybe I will enjoy it better :)

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more *crosses fingers* I hope so! I didn't like it was bad. I just thought it was . . . MEH.