Sharon's Reviews > Little Black Lies

Little Black Lies by Sharon J. Bolton

it was ok

Set in the Falklands in 1994, this is a story told from the perspective of three people central to a tragedy that took place three years before.

Marine Scientist Catrin Quinn lost her two sons in a horrific accident caused by her former best friend Rachel Grimwood. Scottish ex-soldier Callum Murray tried to help but was unsuccessful. He and Catrin have history together, but Callum is suffering from PTSD after his involvement in the Falklands War. Catrin and Rachel haven't spoken since the accident, but Catrin is planning something........

A young boy goes missing on the island, making him the third young boy to disappear. Frantic searches begin, and all seems to be resolved until Rachel's youngest son Peter suddenly goes missing.

I enjoyed the first part, told by Catrin. She is a woman still grieving after losing so much, and her hatred for Rachel and for the situation hops off the page. I enjoyed the setting, I don't know much about the Falklands so it made me want to learn more. I didn't feel the story needed the whale element - that just seemed unecessarily gory for me.

Callum's chapters lost me a bit, he's a borderline misogynist, reducing women to either shaggable or not and dropping comments like "she's tall for a woman" or "she argues like a man". He has eyes for one woman and all others are inferior. He irritated me and I disliked him.

Rachel's chapters began to pull the story back again for me, her postnatal depression was handled well and was realistic. Well, at the beginning anyway.

However.

The last few chapters just turned what was a pretty good thriller into a farcical joke. From multiple false confessions, to lies, twists, moving the investigation from the police station, a final "bombshell" (that I really don't understand at all, I don't get it), the last 100 or so pages made a mockery of everything that had gone before. It just smacked of trying to confuse the reader and overused the whole "Gotcha!" idea. The last paragraph just didn't make sense to me at all, I don't get where the author was going with it.

Not recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Black Lies.

April 21, 2015 – Shelved