Tom Mathews's Reviews > Natchez Burning

Natchez Burning by Greg Iles

22063432

bookshelves: read-in-2015, history-historical, mystery-crime-thriller, audiobook

I really like Greg Iles' writing style and the world of Penn Cage's Mississippi but, holy cow! Does his publisher pay him by the word? One would think that, given 880 pages in which to do it, an author could tell a complete story. But no. Readers who stick it out and get to the end of Natchez Burning will find that quite a few of the bad guys are still alive and free and that many of the good guys are not. Never fear, though. The Bone Tree is now in the bookstores and after just 816 more pages, Penn Cage will prevail and the Double Eagles and all of their allies will be dead or in jail.

Maybe.

Who knows?

It could be trilogy.

Update: It is.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Natchez Burning.

April 20, 2015 – Started Reading
April 30, 2015 –
page 790
May 1, 2015 – Finished Reading
July 27, 2015 – Shelved as: audiobook

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Christine (new)

Christine Golly, Tom. I don't think I can read fast enough to get all the Iles books read before I leave this world. Just the length of them is putting me off, sadly.

message 2: by Richard (new)

Richard I was looking forward to picking this series up but I didn't realise that the latter novels were slow long. It's put a little dampener on my enthusiasm now

Brenda I loved Natchez Burning and need to get the second book. These are books I really sink myself into. I don't mind the length. Two books at 400 or one at 800, I'm reading in either case. Iles's books keep me interested for that many pages.

LeAnne: GeezerMom Tom, did I ever tell you that I am friends with two of his cousins? I loved The Quiet Game when it was first published, then 24, and the wwii books. He has gone weird and then downhill since. Since he is family to my friends, Ive TRIED - but blech.

message 5: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom Mathews I don't recall if we've ever discussed Iles. I'm with you in that I really enjoyed The Quiet Game but the later books in the series are becoming a bit of a chore. He really should hire Lizzie Borden as his editor.

LeAnne: GeezerMom Im guessing somebody told him to go back to his roots after those odd crime- and horror-novel forays, so he brought Penn back. But Bone Tree was just stupid. Look, a long book has never put me off, but a long AND miserable reading experience just ticks me off.