Nadine Keels's Reviews > Ramona and Her Mother

Ramona and Her Mother by Beverly Cleary

Oct 13, 2010

bookshelves: all-time-favorites
Read 2 times. Last read June 9, 2017 to June 10, 2017.

Sometimes it seems like Ramona Quimby's older sister, Beezus, gets all the attention and privileges in the family. In fact, Mrs. Quimby lets neighbors and friends know she couldn't get along without Beezus, and Ramona feels left out. Yet, a drastic decision Ramona makes will remind her just how her mother feels about her in Ramona and Her Mother by Beverly Cleary.

What a pleasure to revisit one of my favorites in the Ramona series. (What a double-pleasure to have obtained a copy that even smells like the one I read all those years ago. Oh yes indeed.) Cleary has such an understanding of life through the eyes of a seven-and-a-half-year-old, showing how much those childhood matters matter. Reading chapter books! Feeling carsick. New pajamas! Mom and Dad have a spat. And, yes—practicing one's cursive handwriting!

There are dashes of humor that got laughter out of me. But the story (and the Ramona series altogether) doesn't avoid real-life situations that friends and families can find themselves in. And, gee, much like when I recently reread Ramona and Her Father, being able now to understand this story on a greater level from both an adult's and a child's point of view makes it all the more touching.

Sure, I may be growing even more sensitive in my adult years, but if a children's book ever got a tear out of me toward the end, this one did. I blame the wonderful illustration that accompanies the scene!

Let's see now, I've got two more Ramona books to revisit, and the newer one I've not read before...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ramona and Her Mother.

Finished Reading