Melissa's Reviews > The Gathering

The Gathering by Kelley Armstrong

Oct 13, 2010

bookshelves: 2011-releases, books-from-library, books-i-adored

Kelley Armstrong is truly an amazing writer. I was initially very apprehensive at reading The Gathering because I thought it would be similar to her Darkest Powers trilogy. Boy, how wrong I was! Perhaps the only similarity is that both trilogies have incredibly strong and relatable female protagonist. In The Gathering, we have Maya, who lives in a super-small medical-research town. Her friends and her are very content with what they have, but then, a newcomer arrives.

What I love about Maya is that she's super confident in herself. She's really one with the world, so to speak. She's well-adjusted, has wonderful parents (who are amazing, by adoptive standards), is proud of her Native roots, and is pretty easy-going. Even when she falls in love with the newcomer, it's so slow, so tentative, that it sort of sneaks up from behind you, very much like what happens in real life.

I love the secondary characters as well, especially Daniel. It is so refreshing to see a girl and a guy be truly platonic friends without worrying about the sexual tension or whatever. I really hope we get more of him (and Sam) in later novels. They have really interesting backstories that I don't mind getting into.

I guess what I liked best about The Gathering is the suspense. From the book summary, you can sort of guess that Maya isn't exactly what you'd call human, and throughout the novel, there are little hints and little clues to keep you interested and just when you expect some big revelation or a huge climax, BAM! Something totally unexpected happens and the story's done. You're not exactly satisfied because it didn't answer the questions you have, but you can't be mad because it gave you a great cliffhanger. So yeah, well done! :) Very excited for The Calling now. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gathering.

October 13, 2010 – Shelved