Adam's Reviews > For Real

For Real by Alexis  Hall

When this first popped up on my feed, I was a bit skeptical. 400+ pages of a 19-year-old Dom? It didn't sound fun. But I was very obviously wrong. 'For Real' takes age, society's expectations, BDSM, and sex, and basically turns everything on its head. It was marvelous.

I think what I enjoyed most was how Alexis Hall portrayed the contrast between two very different stages of life. Toby is nineteen, and has absolutely no clue what to do with his life. I think most everyone had moments of despair when they realized that legally being an adult meant actually doing something with your life. Of course, for Toby it was even more terrifying because he didn't have those few years of reprieve that college/university give.

On the other hand, Laurence has a great job, is highly-respected in his field, and doesn't have to worry about material things. But on a personal level, he's approaching his fourties and has had nothing but one failed relationship and a string of hook-ups. There's an almost desperate feeling to Laurence's thoughts. Yearning for something deep and meaningful, yet realizing that you basically have nothing, can't be pleasant.

Reading how Toby and Laurie come together and try to banish each other insecurities was beautiful. They're not perfect, and they screw things up a lot, but they work until they get it right. The two pinged all of my romance buttons.
description

It was entertaining to see Toby's introduction to the world of BDSM through his POV. I've got to give kudos to Alexis Hall to doing something unconventional with BDSM. There are no formalities or complexities in what Toby and Laurence do.

As someone who gets easily bored with the formality that is often portrayed in BDSM-themed books, 'For Real' was right up my ally. It's just plain, hot, fun kink as the two explore and experience each other. Also, I don't think I'll ever look at lemon meringue pie the same again.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. I'd recommend 'For Real' to MM readers who enjoy relationship-focused books with hot kink.

ARC provided through NetGalley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read For Real.

April 20, 2015 – Shelved
May 15, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
May 15, 2015 – Shelved as: read-for-review
May 22, 2015 – Started Reading
May 22, 2015 –
1.0% "I've really been looking forward to this. And now I've got a whole weekend to read it uninterrupted!\n description"
May 24, 2015 – Shelved as: broken-boys
May 24, 2015 – Shelved as: wrote-a-review
May 24, 2015 –
40.0% "Um..\n description\n \n I'm going to have to send Alexis Hall a box of cookies. He deserves them."
May 25, 2015 –
80.0% "This could go either of two ways: brilliant or absolutely awful.\n description"
May 25, 2015 – Shelved as: sex-sex-and-more-sex
May 25, 2015 – Shelved as: kinks-and-stuff
May 25, 2015 – Shelved as: smexy-sex
May 25, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

Mónica BQ Great review! This is one of the books I'm most looking forward to reading this summer (:

Adam Thanks! I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the book. Hope you like it too. =)

Elsbeth Great review... Can't wait to read this tomo!

Adam Elsbeth wrote: "Great review... Can't wait to read this tomo!"

It's very different, but in a good way. Enjoy!

Reflection Oooh I had completely forgotten 'bout the lemon meringue pie. *Happy sigh*
Great review (think I may have a case of review envy but I'll get over it) :))

Julio Genao glad you enjoyed it too, adam. it was a really exciting read for me. nice review!

Reflection You know what? I'm off to make Lemon Meringue pie now, you've put me in the mood. I cannot rest (unusual).

Julio Genao i read this in development, and i gotta tell you...

...it took ages to get a craving for that pie out of my head.

and i'm not even that big a fan of meringue!

(traditional dominican cake frosting is made of a soft meringue, and i've never gotten a taste for it)

Reflection Shock! Julio, cake and meringue frosting and you don't have a taste for it? (Well, neither do I actually, but that's only because I didn't know about it until moments ago). Thanks <3

Could well be tomorrow's project...dominican cake you say? Interesting.

Meantime, off to squeeze me some lemons!

Julio Genao dominican cake is basically pound cake. but with more eggs. and more butter. and more sugar. basically it's a bowl of OMG stirred up, stuck in an oven, and then smothered in merengue, because when it's all done it holds up to the tropical heat better than a buttercream (is my unscientific conclusion after a lifetime of avoiding the damned things at birthday parties).

Reflection Hmmmmm well, perhaps not then. I was thinking of something lighter, more decadent and deliciously scrumptious.....you know, loads of dark moist chocolate cake and boozy cherries all topped off with a toasted meringue ;D
What does that have to do with Dominican cake? Not a lot apparently.

Reflection Did that really just stop mid sentence?

Reflection ....toasted meringue....

message 14: by Adam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Adam Lol I'm so boring when it comes to dessert. Give me a strawberry shortcake with vanilla frosting and I'll be a happy camper.

Reflection Guys your cultural references are blowing my mind...just checked out strawberry shortcake on Wikipedia (not only a doll I see). Never had shortcake in my life. I thought it was another name for shortbread - clearly not.
Wow!

message 16: by Julio (last edited Aug 24, 2015 08:09PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Julio Genao mmmm. caaaaaaake.

Lost in a Book hmmmmm... Sounds like I need to give this a try

message 18: by Adam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Adam Yes you do! Was a good one. Think you'd like it.