Edwina " I LoveBooks" "Deb"'s Reviews > Duchess By Mistake

Duchess By Mistake by Cheryl Bolen

liked it
Read 2 times

COULD HAVE BEEN 5 STARS INSTEAD OF 3

"Duchess by Mistake" is the story of Philip Ponsby 5th Duke of Aldridge and Lady Elizabeth Haverstock. Philip has just returned to London from 5 year of living in Italy He orders a bath and as he is stepping out of the bath when Elizabeth enters and see him in his birthday suite. She was lead to the Dukes private chambers by mistakes. .Now Elizabeth is compromised and must marry Philip. Philips best friend is the Marquess of Haverstock and Elizabeth's brother. Philip and Charles have been BF's since they were children. Charles witness the mishap between Philip and his sister Elizabeth. But his very glad to have Philip as his new brother. The marriage takes place and they are off to building a good relationship.

The story is well written and Cheryl Bolen is right on with her description of Dukes, Duchess and the other Lord and Lady's of Ton. She is spot on. I was glad to see an author who knew how to write Titled people of this era in time. My problem is I don't think the story on a whole fits in the Historical Romance genre. The entire book is absent of Romance between the couple. Romance includes loving making between a husband and wife, but there isn't any in this story. Its implied that they had a passionate night but that's not romance!!. The author doesn't have to do over the top sex scene, but a few are necessary for romance.

The other reason I am giving Duchess By Mistake 3 stars instead of 4 is becasue very close to the ending we get the very unnecessary and worn out misunderstanding between Philip and Elizabeth. I guess Ms. Bolen was short on word count so she through in Philip's ex Mistress the Countess Savatini and the old bow of Elizabeth's Capt Smythe The H/H now believes each is in love with there former acquaintance's. This has nothing to do with the story at all, so why mess it up and put it in the story?? Can we Say Word Count!! Something Romantic and sensual between Philip and Elizabeth would have been more suited toward the end. I want to beg all authors to please stop with the Misunderstanding Scenario!! Try Communication, relationship building and honesty between the H/H couples!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Duchess By Mistake.

Finished Reading
Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
April 20, 2015 – Shelved
April 20, 2015 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
April 20, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read (Paperback Edition)