Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede's Reviews > The Angel Court Affair

The Angel Court Affair by Anne Perry

Apr 20, 2015

liked it
bookshelves: read-2015

It's the end of the 19th century and a woman comes to London and preaches what many people feel like a blasphemous message and then she disappears and Thomas Pitt must find her.

This is the 30th book in the Charlotte and Thomas Pitt series and this first book in the series that I have read. Luckily for me, it was easy to get into the story and to get to know the characters. I found the story to be interesting and well written. But still I felt sometimes that the story lacked something, I just didn't feel that connected to Thomas and Charlotte, perhaps it would have been easier to connect with them if I would have read previous books in the series. I guess I will figure that out when I do that. I also felt that Charlotte never really got to be, in this book, anything else than a mother and wife so I would very much like to read the books from the beginning to really get to know her. Luckily I own the first book.

But, the two characters I actually came to like the most were Narraway and Vespasia. I just felt that their characters were so much more interesting to read about than the Pitt's. Their marriage came later in life so they both have a past and I want to know more about their past and how they met and finally got married so when I start to read the series from the beginning will I have a look out for those two wonderful characters.

The story itself was interesting, sometimes I felt that it dragged on a bit, but not that I became bored I just felt sometimes that it moved a little too slow forward and I enjoyed the part on Spain very much and, of course, the ending was good.

All and all, I enjoyed the book and I'm looking forward to reading the previous 29 books in the series!

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Angel Court Affair.

April 20, 2015 – Started Reading
April 20, 2015 – Shelved
April 20, 2015 –
April 21, 2015 –
April 22, 2015 – Shelved as: read-2015
April 22, 2015 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Sage (new)

Sage I've read all the books in the Pitt Series and feel, as you do, that this book was lacking. By all means read the early books, you'll find Charlotte , and often times her sister, played a large part in Thomas's investigations before he became head of Special Branch, which, in my opinion, made the story much more interesting. I do love the series however, as well as both the Inspector Monk and the WWI series.