Bret James Stewart's Reviews > Ruth, Jonah, Esther: Believers Church Bible Commentary

Ruth, Jonah, Esther by Eugene F. Roop

19232021

Roop has written a good commentary. This book (and series, I believe) has a Pietist traditional outlook. This is most noticeable in the author’s treatment of the poor, violence, and war. The commentary is well-laid out, broken up into subjects/topics in a logical way, and has a nice chapter at the end that deals with pertinent literary genres and other topics that pertain to the text in some fashion.

The book is not heavily scholarly, so it has been written for the average layperson. Roop brings some interesting perspectives to the books in question. In particular, I was moved to thoughtful consideration by his treatment of the association of God with evil in the section about Jonah.

Roop, for some reason, considers the Roman Catholic religion to be a part of Christianity and therefore includes some of its apocryphal writings as source material. I deduct one star for this. Otherwise, I think this commentary is fine. Unless you want only one perspective, commentaries should be used in tandem with other commentaries, and the inclusion of Catholic dogma herein makes this especially important with this commentary. Overall, I would say the quality of this commentary is average unless you are looking for a Pietist lens for scripture, in which case it would be great. I would be willing to read more in this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ruth, Jonah, Esther.

Finished Reading