jeanie's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

F 50x66

liked it

I have not watched the Game of Thrones TV series, but have contemplated checking it out. I thought I should read the books first, though. It took me a while to get through this book. There are a lot of characters to keep track of. The story moved along fairly well.

I don't know whether anyone else had this problem, but occasionally I had to wonder why Martin felt the need to include certain details because they seemed unnecessary/out of place and disrupted the flow. For example, at one point, some people were having a discussion over dinner. Instead of simply saying that someone sprinkled some salt on his meat, he wrote "Tyrion reached a thumb and forefinger into the salt dish, and sprinkled a healthy pinch over his meat." I found this distracting, because what other fingers would you use to pinch salt? Another example of distracting detail was a description of a mother's nipple after breast feeding her child for a minute. The breast feeding helped the story (showed the fact that the child was coddled, whatever) but it was completely unnecessary to know that her nipple was red and wet. It distracted from the conversation occurring between the adult characters.

At any rate, I want to know what happens to everyone, so I have downloaded the next book in the series.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

April 20, 2015 – Started Reading