Revae's Reviews > Unburnable

Unburnable by Marie-Elena John

Oct 12, 2010

Read from October 12 to 24, 2010

A great debut novel! There were a lot of descriptions and background in the beginning. For me, the plot didn't get going until about chapter 11. Since I have an undergraduate degree in history, I appreciated the historical connections and foundations in African tradition. The book touches on traditions carried to the Carribean by African slaves and how hard they fought to maintain their culture. It made me think about as an African-American in the United States, the cultural tradtions and conncetions to Africa since slavery have been lost. Marie-Elena used French Creole sporadically throughout the novel, just enough to help me understand culture. The storyline was engaging. Each chapter highlights a different generation, until everything comes together. Lillian is inspired to return to Dominica to prove that her grandmother was not a murdering Obeahwoman. There was a lot more to get out of this book than the historical connections, such as religion, racism, hereditary mental health issues, and the power of love. I'm interested to read whatever else Marie-Elena John writes, and I definitely recommend this book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unburnable.

10/20/2010