Lostinanovel's Reviews > A High Wind in Jamaica

A High Wind in Jamaica by Richard Hughes

Oct 12, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Warning 1: Plot giveaways here. Warning 2: A squeamish reader who doesn't have the stomach for a storyline which includes pirates and a ten year old girl, should pretty much stop here.

What a story.  I always viewed Lord of the Flies as a parable which used the children simply as symbolic of society as a whole but this book damns children themselves! The book is told in a child story's tone, initially with the feeling of a romantic adventure tale but then turns nightmarish.  What I find brilliant is that there are hints of terribleness and we assume that the worst of horrors will or have occurred to these children.  Not until towards the end, does one really examine that assumption and consider who are the real evildoers.  Of course, some terribleness does happens (these children's adults are careless) and there are some unanswered questions, particularly regarding to what occurred to the oldest girl. Nonetheless, while we have been fearing innocence-lost, we eventually realize the true nature of this innocence.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A High Wind in Jamaica.