chucklesthescot's Reviews > The Boleyn King

The Boleyn King by Laura Andersen

it was ok
bookshelves: ebook, fiction, historical, monarchy, tudors-wotr, abandoned

I really wanted to love this book as I liked the idea of it so much. What if Anne Boleyn HAD given Henry VIII a son and had not been beheaded? That is something that, as a Tudor fan, I liked to speculate on. It would have changed the whole course of history.

The book starts with 17 year old William on the throne. His name bothered me because every Tudor non fiction book I've read indicates that Henry wished to name his first son either Henry or Edward. Indeed his son to Jane Seymour was called Edward. So where the heck did the decision that he should be known as William come from??? When is William EVER short for Henry? And if you are going to call someone William, why not just christen him William? None of that makes any sense to me. Our new King is a petulant little brat who is incapable of paying attention in meetings never mind running the country, something I seriously doubt would happen with the son of Anne and Henry. If you look at Tudor history, young King Edward was more capable of that and he was younger than William here. William just sulks all the time and I don't find this character believable as King.

William's best friend is called Dominic which again is not really a recognised Tudor name as far as I know and is a copy of Charles Brandon, Henry VIII's best friend. Elizabeth is 20 and unmarried, being pursued by suitors in France and Spain. She is not the Elizabeth you expect and seems to take orders from Minuette rather than run things herself. Lord Rochford is Lord Protector.

Then we have Minuette. Could anyone be as darn perfect? Daughter of Anne's French maid, she is in Elizabeth's household, but Minuette always gets her own way in everything. She of course is the most beautiful, most charming, most loved by everyone and is able to get away with anything because she is so admired. GAG. She is so sickly sweet she makes you want to vomit and of course William and Dominic are fighting for her love. Great. The darn love triangle.

Then comes the mystery to be solved. A pregnant woman at court is dead but did she fall or was she pushed? Suddenly our four friends decide to investigate! This is where the book became like a Famous Five adventure with spiffing fun and loads of ginger beer! It was like a YA cozy mystery with the young 'uns sneaking around behind the backs of the adults to solve the crimes and I was not very impressed!

This is not really a proper Tudor novel. We get very little in the way of current world events or the type of intrigue we expect or anything much outside of a plot about four YA friends wandering around Court and doing virtually nothing of interest. Where are all the great characters? Anne Boleyn, one of the most interesting women in history, is reduced to sitting sewing in the background in the scenes she features in. This was more for teens than adult Tudor fans. Maybe it should have been called Five go to Hampton Court...I mean one of them was bound to have a dog...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Boleyn King.

April 19, 2015 – Shelved