Nita's Reviews > Pose Method of Running

Pose Method of Running by Nicholas Romanov

Oct 12, 2010

bookshelves: nonfiction, running
Read in October, 2010

I read this book on running technique to see how it compared to Danny Dreyer's Chi Running book and DVD. In terms of the actual technique, they are very similar if not identical. In terms of approach and training, they come from opposite directions. Romanov's approach begins with the legs with an emphasis on bending the knees. If there is anything missing in Danny's book, it's this emphasis. Danny begins with the torso and emphasizes the posture first and foremost. Once I got the knee bend part, thanks to Romanov, I felt like I had all the pieces in the chi running/pose method puzzle.

This book has many drills, really, an overwhelming number of drills, so many drills in fact that my eyes began to glaze over. I had to flip on and read further on about other things. If you're a die-hard and love drills, these sections are for you. I'll stick with the rest of the book.

The other difference I found in the two books (Chi Running versus The Pose Method) is the philosophy. Perhaps it is Romanov's Russian heritage or just a matter of personality, but his techniques are very pragmatic without anything that might be considered extraneous. For example, Romanov doesn't talk about the energetic aspects of running (Danny uses principles from Tai Chi, hence the name Chi Running) and some readers may resonate more with this approach. I have practiced tai chi and studied meditation and so the energetic approach of Chi Running resonated more with me than Romanov's approach. The two books together created a symbiosis that enhanced my running immensely.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pose Method of Running.

07/30 marked as: read