Julie Christine's Reviews > Write This Second

Write This Second by Kira Lynne Allen

bookshelves: poetry, best-of-2015, read-2015

What holds me as a reader of poetry is the same thing that terrifies me about composing my own poems: truth-telling. A writer of prose has more words to hide in, more time to conjure and reshape reality. A poet confronts the truth with every single word.
For twenty-seven years I held my tongue
denied my truth
heard no love echoed in the sounds of people's voices
and I am aware now
that all those years
spent waiting for someone to come and rescue me
almost cost me my life

Kira Lynne Allen writes her heart-breaking, soaring truth in raw and tender language. Her searing poetry tells the story of her life, a life which took strength to survive, heal, and rise above. Allen's poems chronicle a childhood blown apart by trauma and a young adulthood by addiction, until she finds redemption in the recovery process and healing in her art. She tells her stories as Maya Angelou did: with anger and benevolence intertwined, in a clear, unwavering voice.
I recognize my right to celebrate
I relish my right to write
to rage
to dance
to cry
to crave
I reclaim my right to tenderness
to elevate
to educate
I delight in my right to love
I am accused of writing too much
about racism and incest and rape and domestic violence
As if I dug through the archives of extinct words
to discuss unknown phenomena
I don't friggin' think so

In finding this voice, Allen has created a present that celebrates not only her journey and triumph of spirit, but the community she embraces and serves as a teacher and advocate. She is the embodiment of the power of truth-telling, of poetry, of using our words to heal, comfort, empower, and build.
because I write to heal n I write to live
because life's stories are not simple or undaunting
because today courage is fear that has said its prayers

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Write This Second.

April 19, 2015 – Shelved
April 19, 2015 – Shelved as: poetry
April 20, 2015 –
page 31
36.05% "You ask what I want n I'll tell you see\n I'm a poet\n who wants your gag off n \n your tongue free"
Started Reading