Shamekia's Reviews > The Secret Lives of Baba Segi's Wives

The Secret Lives of Baba Segi's Wives by Lola Shoneyin

Oct 12, 2010

bookshelves: well-written

I finally finished this today and WOW! I loved every page of this novel. My roommate and I were "racing" each other through it and I won, but can't wait for her to finish so we can have our own mini book club at home.

There are so many great things about this book, especially the language. It's poetic, proverbial, and beautiful. And not in that flowery, overtly mushy-gushy way. More so in an "akinkral" (I just made that word up) kind of way.

The most over-arching theme of course is the plight of women, and the tiny scraps of control and autonomy a woman has (epecially without formal education) over her own life. Baba Segi's wives have very little choice over the footsteps that led into his household. And only Bonanle (the youngest and only educated wife) has the real freedom to walk out of her husband's household. Her reasons for staying eventually come to light.

I didn't too much care for the ending, but without giving anything away I'll say that the ending makes perfect sense. It could not have ended any other way. I highly recommend this for a book-club pick as it is full of discussion worthy quotes and topics.

READ. THIS. BOOK!!!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Lives of Baba Segi's Wives.

message 1: by Lola (new) - added it

Lola Shoneyin Thank you so much, Shamekia!

Shamekia Oh wow! You're welcome :D I didn't even realize that you'd responded until today I'm afraid I don't check this account very often.