Bennett Reiss's Reviews > Shadows Collide

Shadows Collide by Dan Levinson

bookshelves: fantasy-and-scifi

Author Dan Levinson delivers with an exciting, fast paced book which keeps you engaged from start to end. The world Levinson has created mirrors our own world of complex geopolitical powers at play in a ever evolving world of international relations between nation states. The interesting element thrown into the mix is that there are elite humans in the world who have "Psionic Powers" which allow them to manipulate energy and perform super human abilities -- from making themselves invisible, manipulating the elements, to super human strength and speed, to teleportation. This mix of a world that is quite similar to our own with the science fiction element, great writing and a captivating story has led this series has become one of my favorite in the world of Science-Fiction.

Most of the main characters in the book have super human powers the author calls "Psionic Powers", but I still found the characters very relatable in a real life context as they must deal with their own personal problems in an ever changing world they struggle to keep up with. The setting is also similar to the present day world circa 2010-2015 in terms of technology and social/ cultural norms.

Continuing from book one, Levinson expands the modern current events of the rebalancing of powers. Between the two major super powers, rising developing nations, smaller allied powers with a backdrop of the ancient cultures and civilizations which existed before the consolidation of the modern powers in the present day the story of Shadows Collide takes place in.

Overall this book seals the deal for me in terms of this series and I am already eagerly anticipating the release of the next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadows Collide.

April 18, 2015 – Shelved
April 18, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
November 27, 2015 – Started Reading
November 27, 2015 –
page 11
3.35% "And that was what she had become, she realized. A shadow of her former self. A whisper. - Jane Doe"
November 28, 2015 –
page 29
8.84% "You need someone in your life to look after you, she had said. And some bebitos would not hurt either."
December 6, 2015 –
page 64
19.51% "She saw darkness, and in that space beyond space, she had no body. Then, a pinprick of light appeared, and grew, drawing her back into the world."
December 7, 2015 –
page 155
December 8, 2015 –
page 249
December 8, 2015 –
page 249
December 9, 2015 –
page 328
100.0% "Exciting, epic last couple of chapters. Can not wait for next book!"
December 9, 2015 – Finished Reading