Susan's Reviews > For Real

For Real by Alexis  Hall

liked it
bookshelves: bdsm, mm

BR with Elsbeth and Belen

I am sad. This started out so strong, and I thought for sure this would be amazing. And it was good, really. I just had all these expectations after reading the blurb. So basically, it is all my fault that I didn’t like this book more.

description

Because I truly loved Laurie and Toby. Laurie and his quiet ways and Toby’s insecurities and babbling. The sex scenes were hot and I really liked those too. There was a lot of humor too, especially when we were in Toby’s head.

Maybe I should have stuck an extra finger in there. That’s what you’re supposed to do, right? One, two, three, dick. I can’t remember how Laurie does me. By the time we reach that point, I’m so delirious, I probably wouldn’t notice if he used a cucumber.

But I have two problems that stopped me from liking the book more (and I really wanted to).

- I would LOVE to read about a 19 year old Dom and a 37 year old sub with them acting like a true Dom and a true sub. That was not the case here. I would say almost not at all. I couldn’t wrap my head around why Laurie would even submit to Toby. Toby who was too insecure (and showing it) to be able to handle Laurie (in my opinion). I just felt it came out of nowhere every time Laurie dropped to his knees for Toby. I felt he just hadn’t ‘earned’ it somehow.
- And the book was just too long. I felt it dragged a bit and that it went on and on about Toby and his (non-existent) goal in life.

The thing I did truly love was that it felt like a real relationship. It wasn’t all about the BDSM. And I like that. These men were people too. I like that in my BDSM books.

If I hadn’t been so excited about reading about a true 19 year old Dom and a 37 year old sub, my expectations wouldn’t have gotten in the way and I probably would have liked it more.

description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read For Real.

April 18, 2015 – Shelved
April 18, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
April 18, 2015 – Shelved as: bdsm
May 29, 2015 –
1.0% "Finally, it’s here!\n \n description"
May 29, 2015 –
3.0% "“I am in costume,” I snapped. “I’m in costume as a really tired and pissed-off trauma doctor trying to get into a BDSM club in the vain hope of meeting a not-too-cack-handed stranger who’ll whip him into some semblance of satisfaction before he goes home again.”\n \n Oooooh, I like Laurie."
May 30, 2015 – Started Reading
May 30, 2015 –
19.0% "Suddenly, I notice I’m kind of . . . making this noise. Like hnnnnnnnn except my breath is all shaky so it’s more like hn-nuh-nuh-nuhhhhhh, like I’m a lawn mower that won’t start. And I try to stop it, but I can’t. I can’t. Apparently that’s what happens when you lick my back. Who knew?\n \n I love Toby."
May 30, 2015 –
25.0% "“You’ve totally ruined me. And . . . and I think you should take some fucking responsibility for it. Or . . . or like at least fucking apologise.” I stared at him. “God, Toby, what’s wrong? What did I do?” “What did you do?” His voice broke. “You were perfect. Don’t you understand? Fucking perfect.”\n \n I love how earnest Toby is."
May 30, 2015 –
28.0% "“Uh, do you really like those books over there? Like, are they valuable?”\n I blinked. “Well, sentimentally, perhaps. Why?”\n “I kind of . . .” He picked at a bit of fluff on the carpet. “I kind of . . . projectile ejaculated all over them.” Sore or not, I pulled him into a hug and laughed myself breathless against the side of his neck. “It’s not funny. Have you got a tissue or something?”"
May 30, 2015 –
40.0% "I’m honestly talking it up a bit because I’m nervous. I mean, it’s not rocket science, I know—locate arse, insert cock. But what if I’ve got him so wound up it’s a letdown? What if I’ve overhyped my own wang?"
May 31, 2015 – Finished Reading
November 8, 2015 – Shelved as: mm

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

message 1: by Marie (new)

Marie Loooove the quotes, sounds HOT!!! Enjoy Honey

message 2: by BWT (Belen) (last edited May 31, 2015 07:10AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

BWT (Belen) Yes. I know what you mean. The more I thought about it I did have some complaints:
*the story losing steam to work on Toby's career goals and teenage petulance,
*Laurie's constant internal dialogue about Robert (Come on! That relationship ended over six years ago! Get over it!) was frustrating, and
*the tendency for Hall to be a little pretentious, which is fine when it was tempered by humor, but
*a lot of the humor was missing from the last quarter, didn't you think?

Karen Wellsbury What an honest review, I can see why you'd be disappointed, although i found the dominance in Toby completely believable.

Susan Karen wrote: "What an honest review, I can see why you'd be disappointed, although i found the dominance in Toby completely believable."

I did too in the first half, but later on I wasn't really buying it anymore.

I know this is totally my own issue and has nothing to do with the book. I just wanted something else out of this story.

Susan BWT (Belen) wrote: "Yes. I know what you mean. The more I thought about it I did have some complaints:
*the story losing steam to work on Toby's career goals and teenage petulance,
*Laurie's constant internal dialog..."

Yes, I had those issues too. I think Alexis Hall's books just really aren't for me, because everyone else seems to love them. And even though I really did like this one, something felt off.

BWT (Belen) I actually just got Waiting for the Flood. I hope it's good.

Karen Wellsbury BWT (Belen) wrote: "I actually just got Waiting for the Flood. I hope it's good."

That is my favourite of all his, quite and gentle

Sadie Forsythe Karen wrote: "What an honest review, I can see why you'd be disappointed, although i found the dominance in Toby completely believable."

I did too, but not just because of him. Laurie seemed to have a real kink for humiliation too, and for a 40+ YO experienced man to submit to a fresh faced kid felt like it played into that in the beginning. By the end, I think it was just that Toby was a breath of fresh air for a jaded man.
------

But, as much as I loved the book (and I did), I agree it lost a little steam at the end. I even went a couple chapters wondering why we were bothering with all Toby's angst and his grandfather, etc. But I felt it brought it all back around in the end.

Great review. It's never easy being a dissenting when it feels liked everyone else loves something and you don't.

message 9: by Susan (last edited May 31, 2015 10:16AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susan Sadie wrote: "By the end, I think it was just that Toby was a breath of fresh air for a jaded man. "

Those were my thoughts as well. But not really because Toby was all that dominant. And I had hoped he would be.

And it was good, just not what I had hoped.

Elsbeth Sadly I must agree!! :(

BWT (Belen) The funny thing is I loved the first three quarters. Hell, I highlighted more than almost any other book I've read this year! Full of humor and good sex (though I'll agree completely about not being bdsm). It's the last quarter that keeps niggling at me. That's what buggered it.

Sheziss I agree the D/s relationship was a little weird. But strangely enough, I loved the book, too. I'm a little confused about this one but I know it's a good book nonetheless :) .