Jeanne 's Reviews > The Last Time We Say Goodbye

The Last Time We Say Goodbye by Cynthia Hand

bookshelves: made-me-cry, favorite-y-a, favorites, all-time-favorites
Recommended to Jeanne by: Maida

Raw, honest, realistic, and heart wrenching are words that come to my mind when trying to describe this book. I've read other books with the same subject matter, but none of them felt as real or as authentic as this one. This novel isn't watered down, and that's what makes it special. My friend Maida said in her review that Ms. Hand's writing is flawless, not a compliment she hands out every day, but I agree. ( I will always read your 5 star picks Maida, even if they make me cry and eat a pound of chocolate.) I don't know how to express into words how perfectly she conveyed the emotions and grief process a family goes through in the weeks and months following a loved one's suicide, but trust me, she did. I was especially touched by the message of forgiveness throughout the story, and it ended on a hopeful note even though it wasn't an easy read. The author's note at the end broke my heart even more, but I'm glad I read it, and I'm thankful to her for sharing her personal story.

This was actually my first book by Cynthia Hand, but it won't be the last. I'm looking forward to reading her Unearthly series soon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Time We Say Goodbye.

Quotes Jeanne Liked

Cynthia Hand
“This is going to sound trite, I suppose, but you never know when it’s going to be the last time. That you hug someone. That you kiss. That you say goodbye.”
Cynthia Hand, The Last Time We Say Goodbye

April 17, 2015 – Shelved
June 22, 2015 – Started Reading
June 24, 2015 –
80.0% " \n \n This book is so sad, sometimes I really wonder why I do this to myself. I'll have to read some mindless smut later to cheer myself up!"
June 24, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)

message 1: by M. ~ B&B (new) - added it

M. ~ B&B I count on you to point out the emotional books, Jeanne! I added this :)

Jeanne M. ~ B&B wrote: "I count on you to point out the emotional books, Jeanne! I added this :)"

OMG, I'm still bawling. It was so good, I hope you give it a try! :)

message 3: by M. ~ B&B (new) - added it

M. ~ B&B I will for sure. I'm sure I've recommended this one before, but Infinite Dolls is an emotional one too. Definitely your cup of tea.

Jeanne Thanks, I already bought that one! I need to space out the emotional ones, but I'm looking forward to it.:))

Amber I'm so glad you loved this one Jeanne! It's everything you said and more. Especially that last dream she had of her brother? Omg, I could NOT stop crying. Loved this book so much. One of my favorite reads of the year by far.

message 6: by M. ~ B&B (new) - added it

M. ~ B&B I know what you mean, me too. Can't handle too much crying in a row lol. But I miss those tear-jerkers when I go without for too long!

message 7: by Jeanne (last edited Jun 25, 2015 11:15AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeanne @Amber, I know! The last journal entry and that dream. Then to turn the page and read the author's note. My eyes are all swollen today. I have a brother who is two and a half years younger, and he calls me "sis" which is common. But, oh that message and dream really got to me.

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Kyle Wonderful review Jeanne xx

Jeanne Jennifer wrote: "Wonderful review Jeanne xx"

Thanks, Jennifer! xx

*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time Glad you found a winner friend, great review!

Amber Jeanne wrote: "@Amber, I know! The last journal entry and that dream. Then to turn the page and read the author's note. My eyes are all swollen today. My only sibling is a brother who is two and a half years ..."

I know! I also loved her realization in the end as well. The entire time I was reading the book I kept thinking that the author must have known someone who committed suicide to have written it with such a raw, heart breaking quality. Then I read her note at the end. It's making me tear up even now. SUCH a great story.

Amber Oh, I also have to say that even though the book wasn't about romance, her ex bf was one of the absolute sweetest guys EVER. I loved him.

Jeanne Amber wrote: "Oh, I also have to say that even though the book wasn't about romance, her ex bf was one of the absolute sweetest guys EVER. I loved him."

I know, that was so sweet. I loved him too, and it leaves you with a feeling that she'll be OK. :)

Jeanne J *I did it all for the nookie.The book nookie* wrote: "Glad you found a winner friend, great review!"

Thanks, J! :)

message 15: by Saffron (new)

Saffron Great review Jeanne!

Jeanne Supreet *The Cupcake Queen* wrote: "Great review Jeanne!"

Thanks Supreet! :)

✦❋Arianna✦❋ Great review, Jeanne!:)

Jeanne Arianna wrote: "Great review, Jeanne!:)"

Thanks, Arianna! :)

Rachel Reads Ravenously Great review Jeanne! Love this author's Unearthly series :)

Jeanne Rachel ♥Reads Ravenously♥ wrote: "Great review Jeanne! Love this author's Unearthly series :)"

Thanks Rachel! I've heard great things about that series, I can't believe I had never heard of it, but I can't wait to read it. :)

message 21: by Didi (new)

Didi Lovely review Jeanne :)

Jeanne Didi wrote: "Lovely review Jeanne :)"

Thanks, Didi! :)

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Wonderful review Jeanne! xx

Jeanne Lady Vigilante (Feifei) wrote: "Wonderful review Jeanne! xx"

Aww, thanks Feifei! xx

message 25: by Brandi (new)

Brandi Wonderful review, Jeanne :)

Jeanne Thanks Brandi! :)

message 27: by S.M. (new)

S.M. West Super review, Jeanne.

Jeanne Suzanne wrote: "Super review, Jeanne."

message 29: by S.M. (new)

S.M. West Jeanne wrote: "Suzanne wrote: "Super review, Jeanne."

Thanks Suzanne! I plan on reading a Tessa Bailey book later to cheer myself up. :)"

Smart move! Nothing like a dirty taker and hot steamy times to cheer a girl up! LOL

[~Ami~]♥Sexy Dexy♥ Great review Jeanne. So glad you found a good one after all the meh reads! :)

Jeanne [~Ami~]♥Sexy Dexy♥ wrote: "Great review Jeanne. So glad you found a good one after all the meh reads! :)"

Thanks Ami! It was really sad though. At least it wasn't meh though! :)

Ksenia Jeanne, you have this amazing ability to express your emotions and thoughts that I want to drop everything I’m currently reading and start reading your reading choice. The Last Time We Say Goodbye is on my tbr for a while and I’m steeling myself to read it. A book about a suicide is not my usual reading choice, but I want to make an exception for this book, because of this realness you mentioned.

message 33: by Jeanne (last edited Jun 29, 2015 03:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeanne @ Ksenia, aww..thanks! I'm not a great writer but I try to make up for it in enthusiasm. haha. It's a sad book, but so well written. The author shares in her author's note(view spoiler) That just made the whole thing so much more emotional, but it didn't surprise me because only someone who has experienced grief like that could write about it so well. It's not a cheery subject, so it is good to be ready for it.

message 34: by Mandy (new) - added it

Mandy gorgeous review, Jeanne! This book sounds amazing!

Jeanne Mandy wrote: "gorgeous review, Jeanne! This book sounds amazing!"

Thanks, Mandy! It was amazing. She knew from personal experience how to write a book about this, and it was gut wrenching.