Moontyger's Reviews > Blackout

Blackout by Connie Willis

F 50x66
Oct 11, 2010

bookshelves: science-fiction, historical

The Oxford Time Travel books are such an unusual series. It's not that I don't like the series (in fact, I'm very fond of it), but I can't think of another where the individual books differ so wildly in tone.

First there was Doomsday Book, which was fabulous, but incredibly depressing. And then To Say Nothing of the Dog, which was basically a farce (and hilarious).

Blackout is somewhere in between the two, though closer in tone to Doomsday Book. I did laugh sometimes, but it is much more serious than funny.

Willis does a great deal of research for these books and it shows; I learned quite a lot of things I didn't know about WWII and how it affected Britain in particular. She also does a great job of weaving together many separate storylines and points of view. None of it quite makes up for the fact that I'm not hugely interested in WWII (and can't imagine why, given all of history to choose from, one would choose to visit London during the Blitz), but I will still probably get the next book. I'm very curious to see how things turn out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blackout.

October 11, 2010 – Started Reading
October 11, 2010 – Shelved
October 11, 2010 – Shelved as: science-fiction
October 11, 2010 – Shelved as: historical
October 11, 2010 –
page 99
20.16% "I like Willis's Time Travel books and I am enjoying it, but I admit my enjoyment is hampered by my lack of the fascination with WWII so many seem to have."
January 1, 2011 – Finished Reading