Rebecca's Reviews > Come as You Are: The Surprising New Science that Will Transform Your Sex Life

Come as You Are by Emily Nagoski

bookshelves: pop-science

After both Dan Savage and Slate gave a hat tip to this new book, I was intrigued. Now I'm enthusiastic. Nagoski is a female, sex-positive researcher who's decided it's her mission to make sure that the world understands that women's sex drives are not just a broken version on men's. She's also the kind of writer who will hold your hand, tell you you're ok, and then talk about All the Feels (in literally those words).

She's flip without being flippant, funny without being insincere. And the information is genuinely interesting, even if you're relatively happy with your sex life. If you're not, and at least one woman is involved in your sex life, this could be eye opening.

She does a great job of connecting dots that I think I always saw without seeing the patterns. It's not that there's anything so foreign to my experience; it's more like a new way of looking at the facts. Why context matters so much. How expectation and arousal are linked but not the same thing. How hormones have less to do with reactions than stress. How sex is not actually a drive.

Life altering? Not sure yet. But eye-opening.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Come as You Are.

Started Reading