Tricia Drammeh's Reviews > Divide And Conquer

Divide And Conquer by Carmen Fox

Lea is smart and clever, but naive in many ways. She has no idea where she really came from. She has no idea what's in store for her, or where destiny might lead her. Battle-hardened Nieve is the royal champion of Elonia. She has dedicated her life to protecting the king, but she's ready for a life of her own. Her final assignment is to find Lea and bring her back to Elonia. Easy, right? Not so much. It seems danger has already discovered Lea.

I loved this book! It's a great urban fantasy story with flawless world-building and unforgettable characters. The story is told from dual first person points of view. Nieve and Lea alternate chapters, so we hear the story from two completely different perspectives and it really works well for this book. Lea is such a fun character. At the beginning of the book, we discover she's a scientist and extremely intelligent, but she still comes across as a little naive and unworldly. She's clever with words and can be a smart ass, but not in a snotty way. This is a girl who is completely unequipped to handle what is in store for her. Nieve is the opposite of Lea in many ways. She's a competent fighter and confident in her position as royal champion. She's tough, but we're gradually introduced to her vulnerabilities and fears.
I always harp on character development in my reviews, and this story is a prime example of character development done right. Circumstances force both main characters to undergo serious changes, but these characters also exercise free will and make choices that show true character development. Yes, they are pushed and pulled by external forces, but they continue to wrestle for control of their own destinies. When everything falls apart, we see the true strengths and weaknesses of each character in this story, and it's quite surprising.

If you're looking for an action-packed read with multifaceted, courageous characters and a little bit of romance, this is the book for you. I highly recommend this book and can't wait to get my hands on the next installment in the series.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divide And Conquer.

Started Reading