Gaby's Reviews > For Real

For Real by Alexis  Hall

4.5 Rounded Up!...

WARNING: This does not make sense.

I honestly don't know how to write this review without turning it into a horrible personal thing. There are writers that manage to write stories that stay with you, and manage to write characters that seem way too close of a mirror of what you were, or are. Or both. This is one of them.

When I knew this book was coming out I knew to expect awesome, and I knew I could expect something different where BDSM is concerned. Of course you have whips, and cock rings, and chains, ropes, and cuffs, I mean, this is BDSM after all. But it's different. It's completely different to other BDSM books I've read.

Laurence (Laurie), is 37. He's a sub who's been in the BDSM scene for quite some time. He spent many years of his life with Robert, his ex partner, and ex dom. Laurie is not perfect. He's not strikingly beautiful, but he possesses something that makes him beautiful. He still goes out, and gets random hook ups, but that's about it. And then, he meets Toby.

Toby is a 19 year old guy. Even with the little experience he has, he knows he's a dom. He loves cooking. He adores what he can create in the kitchen. He knows what he wants and goes for it, and he also knows that he doesn't always know... Yet, there he is. He isn't incredibly beautiful either, yet, he is.

I'm not sure I can properly explain what happens between them. From the moment they meet they are kind of hooked to each other. It wasn't love at first sight, or just plain lust at first sight either, there was a kind of recognition when they set their eyes on each other, and that's what makes all of this incredibly romantic. Yes, romantic.

The book has many amazing hot scenes. Like, very, extremely, hot. Yet, this isn't what the book is about. This book is about learning someone, y'know? like, when you first meet someone and you want to learn them, not just about them, but... them. Like a map, or land. There's just too much, and too changing, and too complex, and there are layers, and sometimes what seems to be there really isn't and you have to turn around and find another way in?. So you try, and maybe that wasn't the right way either so you get desperate because what the fuck, and you drop everything and give up... But, did you really give up? is giving up what you really want? no, of course not. So, you go back. Or you wait for him to come back. And you do. Or he does. And does it even matter who came to who? Maybe, maybe not.

This book is about making yourself vulnerable. Once someone told me how he thought that it was in bed when we were at our most vulnerable. That the nakedness in bed left us pretty much naked in every other sense of the word. I think he was right, or at least partly right. So what happens when we put our clothes on and go on being what it's expected of us to be?... Expectations kill, sometimes. They freeze people and worry us to the point where we are actually afraid of not being as good as the other person thinks we are. There's no lies in this book, not really, but there's a lot of hiding. Both MC's hide parts of themselves because they are afraid to show, or to feel. However, the one who hit too close home, for me, was Toby.

Young and beautiful Toby. From his love for cooking, to his fear of failure, to his constant feeling of being lost and struggling to find a place, and yet, finding a way to put a brave face every day and smile... And then hiding again. Young Toby, thinking he was giving it all when maybe he really wasn't. It was like reading about myself. My insecurities, my passions, my dreams, my worries, my shame.. All of it. Way too close.

If you pick this up expect hot, wild, kinky sex. Expect ups and downs. Expect an 18 year age gap between your MC's. Expect loss, fear, and a bit of heartbreak. But above all, expect a story about love. A story of two men that are honest enough to know that they don't know... So they have to figure it out, and while they figure it out, they hold each other, and onto each other... Life's too short for bad books (so pick this one because it's awesome), cold coffee (the hotter the better), and awful Lemon Meringue Pies... So follow the recipe by the end of the book, and make a good one.

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review via Net Galley

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read For Real.

April 17, 2015 – Shelved
April 17, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
May 1, 2015 – Started Reading
May 1, 2015 –
1.0% ":D"
May 1, 2015 –
12.0% "*Sigh* ..."
May 2, 2015 –
30.0% "Boy, the hotness."
May 3, 2015 –
41.0% ""The worst thing about being old enough to know better was the realisation that you weren’t" -- Well, that hit a soft spot. :("
May 4, 2015 –
77.0% "Two things: 1. I will never be able to make/eat/see lemon meringue pie the same way; 2. Dude, my cooking is SO boring!!! *Sigh*"
May 4, 2015 –
83.0% ""But people don’t fall in love with mopey, needy idiots , so I’m determined to be shiny by the time he wakes up" -- #QuotesIRelateTo :("
May 4, 2015 –
100.0% "God help me. This was so fucking amazing that i don't even know how im going to review this. I will write something when i come out of this swoony daze..."
May 5, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

Karen Wellsbury aww,I love when books touch you in that way

Alisa This was a really good review.

Gaby Karen wrote: "aww,I love when books touch you in that way"

Yep, me too. Those are the books that stay with you. :)

Gaby Alisa wrote: "This was a really good review."

Thank you, Alisa! :)

message 5: by Tami (new) - added it

Tami What a great review! And I can't wait to read this book

Gaby Thank you, Tami! I hope you love this book! It really was amazing! :)

message 7: by Pam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pam Faste aka Peejakers Awww, what a fantastic review of this! I'm looking forward to reading this more & more. Already know I will love it because I've loved the excerpts & besides, there's just just no such thing for me as not loving anything by Alexis Hall. But the anticipation just keeps ratcheting up ;)

Gaby Pam/Peejakers wrote: "Awww, what a fantastic review of this! I'm looking forward to reading this more & more. Already know I will love it because I've loved the excerpts & besides, there's just just no such thing for m..."

Thank you, Pam! :)

Nikki Love this review, it made complete sense! Looking forward to diving into this one

message 10: by Gaby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gaby Thank you, Nik! you'll love it! i kniw that :D

Julio Genao lovely review!

message 12: by Gaby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gaby Thank you! :)

Jessica This was my first Alexis Hall read and I'm blown away. I read it in part because of your review, so thanks for that :)

message 14: by Gaby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gaby That's very kind of you to say :) And I'm glad you liked it

Denise H. Loved your review sweet Gabby ! I have just started it, and I'm hooked. Unputdownable !! Thank you ! :) x