Rane's Reviews > Unveiled

Unveiled by Courtney Milan

1987431

bookshelves: victorian-era, keeper

When I sit down with a Courtney Milan book it’s like I’m in for a seven-course meal, with a deep romance, drama, humor, angst, an excellent plot and two amazing leads. Milan expands and weaves her novel to just pull the reader deeply into the story and lives of her characters that leaves you wanting to reach the end and at the same time never wanting it to end.

Ash Turner has long overdue payback on his mind, and with his plan brought into motion, he’s out to finally take claim after the suffering he and is family have gone through by the hands of the Duke of Parford, a long relation cousin. Ash proves to the courts the Duke is an bigamist, whom marry in haste his mistress and never had the marriage annulled. Now his children of he had from his second “marriage” are consisted illegitimate and are unable to inherit, but that leaves Ash the new heir to become to next Duke of Parford.

Of course the Duke’s illegitimate children are going to take this laying down. After losing everything from their titles to their so called “friends” their out to prove Ash is unfit to take over the title of Duke. As the two sons of the Duke ready themselves for the upcoming battle in Parliament to have their bill overturned, their sister Margaret Dalrymple stays behind at the Parford Manor in order to nurse her sick father and play the spy to find any dirt on Ash.

From their first meeting a spark goes off between the two, with Ash determined to win Margaret for himself and Margaret trying to hold on to the hate she has for the man whom ruined her and her family’s lives, as both begin to know one another secrets that could harm either of them, only bind them closer together as they both reach a conclusion either of them expected to face.

My first impression of this book went quickly out the window by just the first few pages. Many of my impression and what I thought this book would be about quickly follow suit out the window. As I was pulled into this book. Instead of having to deal with a man whom would ruin lives of others to get his way,bent on payback at any cost, we’re are given an amazing character of Ash whom is honorable, funny, and determined to help and care for his remaining family who holds a few harsh and sad secrets close to his heart, but doesn’t let that stop him from making something of himself. Ash won me over by his so called ”cheerfully ruthlessness” Ash never act what you would think or come to think a hero would act like. He was always clear about what he wanted and was driven to see it through. Ash easily won and broke my heart when it’s reviled about his secret that even his own brothers didn’t know about. Ash feels a great guilt after he left his bothers Mark and Smite to make his fortune, and later his brother prove to him that their going to stand behind him through thick and thin - this is a driving force behind much of his actions and later by the instinct that drives him is also makes him see things from a different POV,

Margaret also threw out any impression I might have had of her, instead of being bitter, she was more hurt by the actions of her father and the pain is caused her beloved mother. Margaret also surprises everyone by her actions, when she learns of Ash secret, instead of selling him out, she sets out to help him even at the cost of trying to win the bill. Margaret in many ways wants to play fair and prove she and her brothers can regain what they lost. Margaret believes in honor even more so then her so-called family. Sometimes I wanted to shake her to open her eyes but in the end she loved her family and that made her a stronger character in my eyes, even when things turn against her, she fights the tide to do what she feels in her heart is the right thing and be with Ash.

The dramatic between Margaret and Ash were always at a sort of balance with their odds always coming out even. Their relationship was so time and true with nothing being assumed. Margaret and Ash’s grow and become the strength both later rely on to pull them through the trouble times they must face.

The beauty of the story is CM never once went back to some time and true plot seen time and again in other books, she always held this reader spellbound with her twists and surprises that made this book truly magical and original.

Courtney Milan did it again with her amazing writing ability and Unveiled just made me a happy romance reader, through and through. I look eagerly forward to Ash’s brothers’ stories with Mark believing greatly in chastity and Smite being a genius in his own right. Unveiled is beautiful romance that everyone should pick up and lose themselves in.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unveiled.

October 11, 2010 – Shelved
February 26, 2011 – Started Reading
February 28, 2011 –
100.0% "beautiful! review soon!"
February 28, 2011 – Shelved as: victorian-era
February 28, 2011 – Finished Reading
March 9, 2011 – Shelved as: keeper

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Lisa Great review!

Rane AJ wrote: "Great Review! I'm anxiously awaiting Marks book as well. Love me a virgin hero. :)"

Thank you Aj! Me too! I wonder what is in store for Mark *grins*

Rane Lisa wrote: "Great review!"

Thank you Lisa!

Caty Aww, loved your review Rane.
You made me sigh again thinking of this book!

message 6: by Bark (Has Atrocious Taste) (last edited Mar 10, 2011 09:27AM) (new) - added it

Bark (Has Atrocious Taste) This sounds great Rane! I've never read this author but just grabbed a bunch of her books from Paperbackswap.

KatLynne Love your review Rane. Wasn't this a great book!

Rane Caty wrote: "Aww, loved your review Rane.
You made me sigh again thinking of this book!"

Thank you Caty!
Unveiled was so sigh-worthy and Ash is such a swoon-worthy hero!

Rane BarkLessWagMore wrote: "This sounds great Rane! I've never read this author but just grabbed a bunch of her books from Paperbackswap."

I hope you enjoy CM works BLWM! They have alot depth to each of them and are such beautiful written...

message 10: by Rane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane KatLynne wrote: "Love your review Rane. Wasn't this a great book!"

Thank you Kat! It was an awesome book, can't wait to read Mark and Smite's books

message 11: by AH (new) - added it

AH I must try this author one day. I have heard such good things. Great review, Rane.

message 12: by Rane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane AH wrote: "I must try this author one day. I have heard such good things. Great review, Rane."

Thank you AH! CM is a wonderful author with the depth she writes each of her characters, and she always ends up surprising her readers

message 13: by Angelc (new) - added it

Angelc Awesome review Rane! I just bought this one and can't wait to read it!!

message 14: by Rane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane Angelc wrote: "Awesome review Rane! I just bought this one and can't wait to read it!!"

Thank you Angelc! I hope you enjoy this stunning book!

Quinn Great review, Rane. This one get consistently high ratings. I may need to move it up the pile!

message 16: by Rane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane Quinn wrote: "Great review, Rane. This one get consistently high ratings. I may need to move it up the pile!"

Thank you Quinn! high ratings well deserved, this books surprises the reader at ever turn :D :D

Juliana Philippa Wonderful review! Had not heard about the author before, but this book is on the Amazon Vine Newsletter so checked it out. Am debating whether to use my last request for this month on it ... ugh, choices!!

message 18: by Rane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane Juliana wrote: "Wonderful review! Had not heard about the author before, but this book is on the Amazon Vine Newsletter so checked it out. Am debating whether to use my last request for this month on it ... ugh, c..."

Thank you Juliana!
This book is well worth it Juliana, any way you can get your hands on it. It's beautifully done and everything is fresh and new!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Great review, Rane! I loved this one as well!

message 20: by Rane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Great review, Rane! I loved this one as well!"

Thank you Dhes! CM is just an amazing writer, and her writing always surprises me

KindleRomance Reviews Great review!

message 22: by Rane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane Kris (KindleRomance) wrote: "Great review!"

Thank you Kris~!

message 23: by Kelly22 (new) - added it

Kelly22 Great review as always, Rane! I'll have to pick this one up soon :)

message 24: by Rane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane Kelly22 wrote: "Great review as always, Rane! I'll have to pick this one up soon :)"

Thank you Kelly! :D

MaryReadsRomance Awesome review :)