Alex Bennett's Reviews > Never Have I Ever

Never Have I Ever by Sara Shepard

Oct 11, 2010

Read in September, 2011

As you may know, I really enjoyed The Lying Game when I read it. I was anticipating the sequel, Never Have I Ever, so impatiently that I dropped everything to read it when I got it. And once I started I couldn’t stop! All of the elements I loved from the first book are back in high gear, and there are some unexpected twists that I never saw coming.

Never Have I Ever focuses mostly on Gabby and Lili, and how Emma and Ethan are convinced that the Twitter Twins were the ones who killed Sutton. There were times while reading Never Have I Ever when I was very creeped-out, but it didn’t hold me the way The Lying Game did when it came to suspense. I felt like it was more of a stepping stone for the rest of the series.

Sara Shepard has a quick and exciting writing style that easily draws me into her books, and holds me until the very last page. While Never Have I Ever is only the second of her books that I have read, you can be assured that I will be reading her others very soon. Her characters are realistic and relatable, and her plots are alluring and thrilling.

Emma continues to be a young protagonist that many teens can relate to, though I have never had to solve the murder of my long lost twin. Ethan, Emma’s love interest is charming and clever, though I feel like his character could use a little work. Madeline, Charlotte, Laurel, and Emma/Sutton’s other friends still have a mysterious air to them, but I am beginning to like them more. And Sutton is, well… Sutton. She has some valuable flashbacks in Never Have I Ever, but for the most part she is just… there.

Never Have I Ever is a thrilling sequel to The Lying Game, and this time the stakes are even higher for Emma. Though I didn’t feel like Never Have I Ever was on par with The Lying Game, I have faith in this series and in Sara Shepard, and believe the rest of this series will be out of this world!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never Have I Ever.

09/18/2011 page 51
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Mesa (new) - added it

Mesa Is the book better than the TV show?

Sindre Ellingsen I don't know yet, like them both and have things I like and don't like with both of 'em

Savannah Dubose I loved this book, too! I don't like to read much, though, so it took me a while to read. I'm glad that I read this because I really enjoyed the story. This book is kind of a drag, however, in the first few chapters but after that it's fine. I actually like the show better because it's more intense, but I still like the book very much.