Branwen *of House Targaryen*'s Reviews > A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers

A Memory of Violets by Hazel Gaynor

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Recommended to Branwen *of House Targaryen* by: Carole

Give the world your best, and the best will come back to you.

To escape a troubled past an a complicated family situation, twenty-nine year old Tilly leaves her beautiful home in the Lake District for the confined and sometimes brutal city of London to work as an assistant housemother in Shaw’s Home for Watercress and Flower Girls, a place of refuge for the homeless and crippled girls selling flowers in the streets. The year is 1912. But despite the harsh reality of life here, Tilly sees beauty as well. Beauty in the painstakingly gorgeous silk flowers that the girls create and beauty in the way they live with such hope, despite their physical ailments. But when she stumbles across a diary from one of the first flower girls to live at the home, Tilly gets caught up in the diary-girl's story and the sad and seemingly useless search for her long lost sister. But everything happens for a reason. And it may be that Tilly is the only one to help solve this decades old mystery.

This book was truly so beautiful and heartwarming! I loved the way the narrative switched back and forth between Tilly and Florrie, the girl in the diary. It was such a sad, yet enlightening and hopeful view of the plight of the afflicted during this time. And it was really a story about the bonds that we share with others, and how strongly they can last and affect numerous other people.

A overall great book that really warmed my heart!

"There is a reason for everything, and everything has a reason. Keep a close eye on life, and you will always know what that reason is."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Memory of Violets.

April 16, 2015 – Started Reading
April 22, 2015 –
page 315
April 23, 2015 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
April 23, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books) Wonderful review, Branwen! I thought this book was really touching as well. I am glad that you enjoyed it.

Branwen *of House Targaryen* Carole's Random Life wrote: "Wonderful review, Branwen! I thought this book was really touching as well. I am glad that you enjoyed it."

Thanks so much, Carole! It was your touching and heartfelt review that led me to this book in the first place, so thank you!