Shannon's Reviews > Armada

Armada by Ernest Cline

bookshelves: fiction, audio, science-fiction
Read 2 times. Last read April 24, 2019 to May 9, 2019.

I don't understand what all hate is about. This was a perfectly entertaining book. Was it highly original? No, but neither is every King Arthur/mythology/fairy tale retelling. Cline even acknowledges how similar to Ender's Game, Last Starfighter, etc. the plot is. There's still a lot of uniqueness to this story. I felt like the 80s references made a lot more sense in this book than they did in Ready Player One. I think this book would even make a better movie than RPO did. Some of the more emotional moments didn't have quite enough time to breathe to make as big of an impact as they should have, but Wil Wheaton's voice acting helps that out a bit. Which reminds me to add that if you can listen to this in audio definitely do that! Wil Wheaton adds so much to the enjoyment of this story. My only quibble is that he has no idea what someone from Philly sounds like. That may be Ernest Cline's mistake, though, as WTF does a "thick Philly accent" even sound like!? I lived outside of Philly for a decade and I couldn't tell you much about their accent other than how certain words like "water" and "bagel" sound.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Armada.

Finished Reading