Tracy's Reviews > The Weight of Silence

The Weight of Silence by Heather Gudenkauf

Oct 10, 2010

Read from October 10 to 14, 2010

This story will grip you from the beginning! Calli is a 7-year old girl who has Selective Mutism. She hasn't spoken in more than 3 years. One night Calli goes missing from her home, and her best friend Petra goes missing, too. A frantic search begins, and the entire small town in Iowa is worried about the girls' well being. With twists and turns including Calli's mom's old love, Calli's dad's drinking, and the two families accusing each other of causing the children harm.

This story is told in many different voices from many different perspectives - almost too many... Nonetheless, I loved the story. Calli totally gripped my attention and tug at my heart strings. Possibly because I had a student several years ago who had Selective Mutism and I could relate to Calli's struggles. The action of the search and the unknown of what really happened until the end kept the book interesting and I wanted to keep reading to know more!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Weight of Silence.

10/10/2010 page 85
10/13/2010 page 201
54.0% "I am really liking this book - it is about a missing girl who has selective mutism. I had a student once with this special need, so it's interesting to read about it in fictional form."