Euisry Noor's Reviews > The Best of Sherlock Holmes

The Best of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

bookshelves: classic, english-fictions, fiksi-luar-negeri, detective, favorites

I always love Sherlock Holmes stories. In this book of Woodsworth Classics edition I enjoyed the collection of twenty best cases of Sherlock Holmes along with an introduction by David Stuart Davies, the editor. Davies’ long essay talks about many things behind the success of Sherlock Holmes, how the cases in this edition selected, and discuss about plus and minus of every case.
It was a delight for me to read the story of a very long journey in which Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, the author, write Holmes stories from time to time, try to draw public’s attention by publishing them in novel form and then as a serial in magazine column. It was really a long journey before Holmes won the readers’ heart and gain a tremendous success. Well, I recomend to read this long journey story for those who love writing. It was not only a learning about hard work, totality, consistency, and heart will in writing, but it was also an interesting story about the creative process in writing.
It was an interesting creative process, for example, how Sir Arthur Conan Doyle inspired by Dr. Bell of Edinburgh, when he was educated at a school of medical thought. This Dr. Bell prided himself about his remarkable power of observation: that when he looked at a patient he could tell not only their disease but very often their occupation and place of residence. Doyle try to apply this power of observation into a detective story, in which the detective would treat crime as Dr. Bell treat disease and where science would take the place of chance.
The important point of Sherlock Holmes creative process was the factor combination of character, plot, and point of view. It was this combination of so unique a character, so delicate a plot, and a well-chosen point of view, I think, that made Sherlock Holmes have its own strong character. All of these factor were well-prepared by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle in creating this classical detective story: he had reasons in every choice he made. Scientific element Doyle put on his narration was another thing to which I admired.
Well, in a brief summary: I love Sherlock Holmes ^^

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best of Sherlock Holmes.

October 10, 2010 – Started Reading
October 10, 2010 – Shelved
October 10, 2010 –
page 48
10.39% "I'm reading in 1998 Wordsworth classic edition (a collection of 20 very best tales, actually)..."
October 31, 2010 –
page 74
November 7, 2010 –
page 174
November 18, 2010 –
page 265
November 19, 2010 –
page 274
59.31% "It's the chapter "Empty House" in which Holmes is back from his "death" :)"
February 7, 2011 –
page 303
65.58% "Currently reading the case "The Dancing Men". it's really interesting to reveal what these hiegroliphyc writings --the dancing men pictures-- mean?"
February 7, 2011 –
page 303
February 13, 2011 –
page 351
75.97% "still at the case "The Priory School""
February 14, 2011 –
page 358
77.49% "still at the case "The Priory School""
February 20, 2011 –
page 366
79.22% "had just finished "The Priory School" case. Now I'm going to read the next chapter, "Charles Augustus Milverton""
May 8, 2011 –
page 389
84.2% "can't wait to finish reading the whole case in this book..."
May 20, 2011 –
page 394
May 21, 2011 –
page 405
87.66% "what a slow progress... huh :("
May 25, 2011 –
page 421
91.13% "Baca di angkot membuat progress yang lumayan juga... :D"
June 2, 2011 –
page 461
99.78% "one page more... :D"
June 2, 2011 – Shelved as: classic
June 2, 2011 – Shelved as: english-fictions
June 2, 2011 – Shelved as: fiksi-luar-negeri
June 2, 2011 – Shelved as: detective
June 2, 2011 – Finished Reading
June 16, 2012 – Shelved as: favorites

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Bruno (new)

Bruno De I love this book,It has something special in it, this book showed me that there are great books out there, waiting for me to find them.

Euisry Noor Bruno wrote: "I love this book,It has something special in it, this book showed me that there are great books out there, waiting for me to find them."

Hi Bruno, thanks for the comment on my review. I totally agree, "there are great books out there, waiting for me to find them" and read them. :)