Kate's Reviews > Devil's Bargain

Devil's Bargain by Tony Daniel

liked it

We're 3.5 years into the first 5 year mission and Kirk and the crew are faced with a unique problem with a planet population who cannot leave their world, even though there is a planet destroying asteroid heading their way and there's no way to divert it. Kirk of course (much to my annoyance and much eyerolling) falls in love with one of the advisors and really, really wants to help. Spock, despite being distrusted by most of the planet but the sole virtue of being alien, suggests a certain species they encountered on Janus VI can help. Hence the 'devil' reference of the title.

It was an alright, light read all things considering. As mentioned above I found Kirk's fling with Hannah annoying and mostly distracting and, lord help me, out of character. Spock seemed also very keen to tell people that he is unable to feel emotions when we all know that's not the case. But, again, that's probably a lot of my personal characterization factoring in. I found the suggestion that Spock made a little bit out of nowhere but that gave a good chance to revisit this species, which was rather interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Devil's Bargain.

April 14, 2015 – Started Reading