Michael Ryan's Reviews > Aspects of the Novel

Aspects of the Novel by E.M. Forster

it was ok

I like E.M. Forster novels in the same way I like fancy restaurants.

I appreciate them, but more often than not they are outside of my comfort zone, I don't really fit in with them, and I think they are overpriced and overrated.

Reading this book you get the sense that E.M. Forster is a bit of an opinionated prick. The saving grace here is that he definitely has the skills to back up being an opinionated prick. But I found the book useless as a guide to writing or as a portal into the mind of the writer or the mechanics of good writing, unless you want to write like E.M. Forster.

The book doesn't do a very good job of explaining how E.M. became a good writer either. What it does do is help you to reinforce his views on good writing so you can take his opinion, make it yours, and lord it over other people.

If you love "A Room With a View" or "Howards End" (the books, not the movies) then you might enjoy this book. If you aren't fans of exceedingly high-brow literature, then skip it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aspects of the Novel.

October 9, 2010 – Started Reading