Mark Lawrence's Reviews > In Midnight's Silence

In Midnight's Silence by T. Frohock

This was a joy to read. Teresa Frohock's début, Miserere, came out in 2011 and it's a crime we've had to wait until 2015 to see more long fiction from her.

The best thing about this story is the writing. It's just excellent. Not overdone, not clunky, just fluid and assured. It puts you there, you believe it, you believe the setting, the people, everything. I can see why Voyager picked this up, the writing can stand and look any piece of literary fiction in the eye without blinking first.

The characters, setting, and plot are all very well done. I don't want to spoil anything - read the blurb if you must, or just jump in unaware like I did.

I spent 8 weeks reading my last book. This one I inhaled in a day. Admittedly it's a novella but that's 113 pages, which is a lot of reading for me to do in a day. I'm famously slow.

The story is very engaging, tension ratcheting up, the fantasy elements being revealed, and an exciting climax. After that a bit of regrouping and setting the stage for the next novella in the series. I would have happily read them all welded into one piece as a full-sized novel.

My only small issue - and it may be unreasonable to expect in 113 pages - was that things played out fairly straight forwardly with no real oh-no-she-didn't twists.

All in all, great work. Imaginatively done whilst playing with a world format / mystic beings that we're all familiar with in different guises from many other books and films - another helpful time-saver, as was choosing a real-world setting (albeit 1930's Spain), allowing so much story to be fit into a relatively small number of words. Some great descriptions of magic and monsters as well as the wholly authentic urban Spanish setting.

Wake up publishers! Make Frohock give us more books!

Join my 3-emails-a-year newsletter #prizes

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Midnight's Silence.

April 14, 2015 – Shelved
April 14, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
July 2, 2015 – Started Reading
Finished Reading
July 4, 2015 –
0.0% "Immediately it's very good. Teresa Frohock writes so well."

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Molly (new) - added it

Molly Review to come? No?

message 2: by Molly (new) - added it

Molly Wow, that was fast. One moment no review...and then, voila! Is it dark like Miserere? I have a few chapters left of that one, ... for now a great read.

Simon Ellberger She has another novella. "The Broken Road," that came out in 2014.

message 4: by Chassie (new)

Chassie love this book