Jessica Del Fino's Reviews > The Sound of Glass

The Sound of Glass by Karen   White

Apr 13, 2015

liked it
bookshelves: kindle-books, netgalley-reads, read-in-2015

I requested this book from Netgalley as a way to continue reading outside of my normal genre, as that seems to be the unofficial challenge I set for myself this year, and the one I've been sticking to. Judging from the reviews, Karen White seems to be pretty well known. I had no idea what to expect beginning this book, and because my favorite genre is horror, it took awhile before I realized I could trust the characters. Feel for them. Even like them.

Set in Beaufort, South Carolina the story begins in the 1950's with a plane crash, then moves back and forth through time to today and tells the story of Merritt Heyward, a recently widowed woman from Maine who inherits her husband's boyhood home, and the secrets that are concealed there. Shortly after Merritt moves in, she is "visited" by her stepmother, Loralee, and 10 year old half brother, Owen. Unbeknownst to Merritt, Loralee has secrets of her own and no plans to leave.

The Sound of Glass has a touch of a mystery to it, but mostly is a story of learning how to put the pieces back, of finding and believing in your own inner strength. By the end, I made sure to have tissues near to hand.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sound of Glass.

April 13, 2015 – Shelved