Melissa Rochelle's Reviews > Crazy Rich Asians

Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan

bookshelves: ebook, library, read-2015

Do people really live like this? Are people seriously THIS rich?!

I first was interested in this book because of the title. It's just so...wrong. Then once I saw the family tree and footnotes, I was sold. Each chapter drops us into the life of one of the colorful characters -- the smart, unprepared Rachel; the clueless about his wealth Nick; the stylish, wealthy Astrid; and a variety of other characters from old money and new. I'm surprised to say I even learned a bit a long the way. I had no idea about the many Chinese that had left Mainland China. In my ignorance, Mainland Chinese versus Overseas Chinese was not a thing, but a Google search tells me it's a real thing and not just something made up in the book. (Also, Singapore is an island? I really need to look at a map.)

I can't wait to read the follow-up to see what happens with Rachel & Nick -- what will His grandmother do?

I'm sucker for a book with a family tree, but (as always) it was a challenge to see/read it in an ebook format on my iPhone (the easiest and nearly only way I read these days). Also annoying were the footnotes. Both are not easy things to deal with in an ebook.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crazy Rich Asians.

April 13, 2015 – Started Reading