Robert Owens's Reviews > Amelia and Eleanor Go for a Ride

Amelia and Eleanor Go for a Ride by Pam Muñoz Ryan

it was ok
bookshelves: 4-0, fiction, airplanes, vehicles, eleanor-roosevelt, amelia-earhart, 3rd-grade-teachers-have-this, classroombookaday
Read 5 times. Last read February 6, 2019.

This piece of historical fiction is one of my least favorite that we read during the year. It always seems so contrived to me. Building enthusiasm for a flight at night strains me. :)

The students seem okay with it. Based on the friendship between Amelia Earhart and Eleanor Roosevelt, the story has Amelia and G.P. (her husband, George Putnam) having dinner at the White House. The author has Mrs. Roosevelt describe it as "her" house. That language bothers me to no end as the White House does not belong to the president's family any more than it does to you.

The language of the story is very good, however. Terms such as starstruck, outspoken, practical, brisk, elegant, elevations, marveled, and miniatures dot this short story.

The ending is so fabricated that it couldn't be true, with Mrs. Roosevelt escaping the protection of the Secret Service to go joyriding. Ho hum.

I'd skip this if given the choice . . .
****
Yet, here I pulled it to read to my students today. One thing I did not mention above is that the illustrations are very good here.

I was probably a touch too harsh above. I am bumping this up to two-stars. The plot is just too contrived to be meaningful to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Amelia and Eleanor Go for a Ride.

October 8, 2010 – Shelved