Hannah's Reviews > Annihilation

Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer

bookshelves: loved-it, sci-fi

Oh I liked this so.

I had this book on my TBR for what feels like forever and I am so glad I finally read it. Jeff VanderMeer has a brilliant imagination and the world he creates feels utterly original, startlingly so, but still grounded in something like believability.

There is not all that much to the plot: four women embarque on an expedition into Area X; they are the 12th expedition of this kind and all the ones that came before ended somewhat mysteriously. The reader never really learns what Area X is and how it came to be and what exactly happened to the people who went before. It becomes clear that the participants have not been told the truth but also maybe haven't told the truth either. The biologist, who tells the story, is an unreliable narrator that I still found myself rooting for. This book is vague and does not give any answers but rather than that being annoying for me it only added to its allure. I have been thinking about this book ever since I finished it and the more I do so the more brilliant I find it.

Jeff VanderMeer's greatest talent lies in creating an atmosphere so all-encompassing that I felt like I was part of the story. The book is highly unsettling and set my pulse running; I could not stop reading and yet dreaded finding out what was going to happen next. This creepy, unsettling, brilliant atmosphere was my favourite part of the book (and I have NO idea how they are going to try and recreate this for the upcoming movie).

First sentence: "The Tower, which was not supposed to be there, plunges into the earth in a place just before the black pine forest begins to give way to swamp and then the reeds and wind-gnarled trees of the marsh flats."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Annihilation.

April 12, 2015 – Shelved
April 12, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
October 22, 2017 – Started Reading
October 22, 2017 –
page 55
28.21% "This a lot more unsettling than I thought it would be."
October 23, 2017 – Finished Reading
October 29, 2017 – Shelved as: loved-it
October 29, 2017 – Shelved as: sci-fi

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

Carol (Bookaria) Can't wait for the movie!

Hannah Yeah, me too! although I wonder how they want to capture the weirdness of the book.

Campbell I fear very much for the movie. I think the creeping, mounting dread is unfilmable.

message 4: by Adina (new)

Adina Maybe in the last one...

message 5: by The Captain (new)

The Captain I am glad ye liked it matey. I couldn't finish it. I got rather uninterested at the lighthouse part. Have to admit that to me the movie doesn't look appealin' either.

Hannah Campbell, I think you might be right about that dread being unfilmable. I’m not giving up hope that it might still be cool to watch.

Hannah I’m sorry you didn’t like it, Captain!

message 8: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle I need to read this before the movie comes out!

message 9: by The Captain (new)

The Captain Hannah wrote: "I’m sorry you didn’t like it, Captain!"

Every book can't float me boat, sadly.
x The Captain

Hannah Gabrielle wrote: "I need to read this before the movie comes out!" The movie coming out was the kick in the butt I needed to finally get to this book - and I loved it so. I hope you will enjoy it also!

message 11: by Jaline (new)

Jaline Terrific review, Hannah! I can relate as I also love books where I feel like I'm part of the story. :)

Hannah Thank you so much, Jaline!

message 13: by Sad (last edited Oct 30, 2017 11:46AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sad Sunday (If I say it's bad, it's bad) Ohhh, this one is so good! But I have to warn you #2 and #3 are way worse.

Hannah Yeah, I heard that... I’ll have to wait and see.

message 15: by Sad (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sad Sunday (If I say it's bad, it's bad) By all means try it - you might love it.

message 16: by Stacey (new) - added it

Stacey Camp Great review! Have been tempted to see the movie but now I will definitely read this before doing so.

Hannah Thank you, Stacey!