Kate.'s Reviews > The Chris Farley Show: A Biography in Three Acts

The Chris Farley Show by Tom Farley Jr.

Oct 08, 2010

liked it

When I was a little kid, my favorite book was The Clown of God by Tomie DePaola. My brothers and I must have checked it out of the Fairhope library a hundred times. If you retold that same story and threw in some alcoholism, heroin, morbid obesity, prostitutes, and Oedipal issues, you would have something that approximates the life of Chris Farley. I liked Chris Farley on SNL, but not because I ever thought he was funny -- maybe I intuited the loneliness and neediness behind his antics?

This book is a loose collection of memories about Chris Farley's life and death. When Chris Farley sobs at a failed film venture, or treats his new girlfriend like gold, or goes to confession every week -- it just make you sad down to your bones that such a good guy had to battle such severe addictions. Beware the sense of doom and finality his drug use takes at the end of his life -- it is something straight out of Greek tragedy.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chris Farley Show.

October 8, 2010 – Started Reading