Flirty Reader's Reviews > Promise Me Once

Promise Me Once by Paige Weaver

bookshelves: arc

This is the third book in the Promise Me series. And let me tell you, I was hoping this book was going to be about Cash. He was a favorite of mine in the last book. There is something about a dark, brooding cowboy that really intrigued me. Plus, there was a story behind him that I knew was meant to be told. Weaver definitely delivered with Promise Me Once and the story of Cash and Cat.

We go back into the past a little bit to see into the early makings of how Cash and Cat met before the world collapsed around them. Cash is seemingly happy on his family's farm. He's content in life and his role on the farm. He's not searching for anything really but when he meets Cat, I think he finds what he didn't know he wanted. Cat is daring, smug, knows what she wants, and very haunted. Cash sees all of this but still can't fight the pull he feels toward her. And neither can she. She's not ready to get involved with a man like Cash or any man, but she reluctantly falls for him in their brief time together before the fall of the country.

I liked the setup of Cash and Cat's relationship. It was hot and steamy right off the bat and really created such a lust factor for Cash. Umph! I liked how we got into Cat's head and got to see what drove her to do and act the way she did. They whole dynamic of their relationship was great. But it was a little drawn out. Weaver spent half the book with the backstory of how they met and developed their relationship. I felt that this could have been taken care in a more concise manner. I kept waiting for what life was going to be like for them after the fall, but it felt like it took forever.
When we did see the fall and their separation, that's when the story really picked up for me.

The second half of the book was my favorite part. I'm so interested in the world building that Weaver has created after the fall of the US. I loved seeing how her characters survive, what they have to do to make it by. Even if I felt some of it was glossed over, I still delved into the post-apocalyptic world headfirst.

But gah!! Weaver left us on a cliffhanger!! I wanna scream!! What's going to happen to Cash and Cat now? Weaver, you better get the next book written ASAP!! I'm dying over here.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Promise Me Once.

April 12, 2015 – Started Reading
April 12, 2015 – Shelved
April 12, 2015 – Shelved as: arc
April 13, 2015 –
10.0% "Cat woke up wearing a t-shirt with her butt hanging out and doesn't put on pants befire she goes to make breakfast for her brother? Umm, hmmmm."
April 14, 2015 –
49.0% "So they aren't looking for supplies in Keely's apartment? Seems odd."
April 14, 2015 –
50.0% "Cash goes back to the farm and get water out of the tap, but if the electric is off, the water would sputter out because the pump to the well is run by electric. Farms like his have wells."
April 15, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Flirty Reader Omg!! Cliffie?!? I'm gonna die now.

Celestine Wow. I had virtually the same reactions to things I liked and saw as (very small) shortcomings. I like all of Paige Weaver's books.