April Symes's Reviews > Just for Appearances

Just for Appearances by Jenna Rutland

Apr 12, 2015

***A gifted copy was provided by the publisher for an honest review***
Rachel Clarke is a single mom with three boys and she just got a job promotion that needed a lot of her time but she also needed to be with her boys. She was conflicted and didn’t know what to do. The kids were out of school for the summer so she needed someone to help watch them for her since his ex-husband is no help to her. Her friend and her ex-boyfriend’s mother, Carol, suggests her son, John as a possible babysitter for the boys for the summer so Rachel can take this job opportunity.
Rachel is unsure- she broke things off with him because his father pressed her hard and said he would because a football star if she wasn’t around so she did what he said and ended things without giving him a reason . John was unsure about coming into Rachel’s life with her children but he ended up coming into their lives and he was great. The kids loved him and he gave 110% around the home. He cooked, did laundry and had a perfectly good time with the kids. He enjoyed spending time with them and did what their real dad wouldn’t or couldn’t do.
As for Rachel and John, the tension was so thick, you could really read it in the book, it was like seeing it. They both had feelings for the other but neither one of them was willing to admit it, even to themselves. They both purposely held back their emotions in order to protect themselves. John couldn't condone that she clearly let go of him so quickly years ago when he had thought Rachel had loved him and he didn't want to be made a fool of again. Rachel was afraid that if she let him back into her heart he would still end up disappearing at the end of the summer and taking a piece of her heart with him and she would be incomplete.

Will they have their HEA or will they never be together. The twists kept me on the seat of my pants. The emotional pulls in this story made my stomach hurt at times. The author knows how to get you involved and make you root for John and Rachel. I just wish she had made my stomach hurt a little less. Their journey was rocky and the pain from the past was rough but I will say she knows how to get you and your feelings involved right from the start.

My rating: 4.45 stars ****
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just for Appearances.

Started Reading